General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Piston Rings in a 05 STS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Default Replacing Piston Rings in a 05 STS

I have a 2005 STS that I keep very nice. About three weeks ago the engine started to make a knocking noise. I took it into the local dealer and they tell me I have to have the piston rings replaced and it is a big deal. The car is under warranty and only has 38K miles on it, and it is a V6. I am not happy, they have had the car for two and half weeks and I shouldn't be having this problem. What can I do, I feel Cadillac should do something, is this engine a lemon??????? Help, suggestions appreciated.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Replacing Piston Rings in a 05 STS

You should have a rental, if not get one if you need it. Your car's condition unfortunately coincided with GM's shut down/lay off. Patience is required, dealer didn't blow you out the door as concern was normal. He want's you to get your car back asap too.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Certified Members

I agree with slowroll ...

did the dealer say why this ring problem happened?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Stomper No they did not dive into why, they just said there is a big problem and they have to replace the rings. They also said I wouldn't have any out of pocket expense for it, which is expected I would think. I was given some little Cobalt to drive around, but my car has now been gone for 17 days and not word one from them. I am not upset with the dealer, just upset with the fact that this car is having this issue. I have owned quite a few "luxury" vehicles and have never had as many problems as I have had with this one.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Update, just heard from the dealer, after sixteen days they still haven't even brought the car in the shop yet....they are waiting on parts, are they that hard to come buy, c'mon...gonna be another seven days at least, we are working on a full month here.