General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible alternator/battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Default possible alternator/battery problem

I recently traveled 300 miles to CA from AZ and on the way my AC went off about 3 times and "battery saver active" came on. I arrived okay to my destination. The next morning when I went out to start the car it was dead. I called Triple A and got the battery charged. I drove over to O'Reilly where I had bought my battery 2 years prior. Although I was over my warranty by about a month, they gave me a new battery. (I want to say here that I generally buy Interstate batteries.) The car has been fine up until yesterday when I was driving home and the AC went off and the "battery saver active" came on again. I should mention that it has been very hot here in the Mohave Valley where I live.

I swung by the Interstate battery store and a man there checked something and told me my alternator needed replacing. I went home and did some research and read that a way to test the alternator is to start the car, remove the "positive" cable from the battery, and if the car shuts off then it's the alternator. I did that this morning (the car started fine and no battery light came on) and it did not shut off with the cable removed.

Now I'm perplexed as to what is the problem. Anyone have a suggestion?