Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Battery No Charge

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Default Battery No Charge

My wonderful 1996 STS has been a pain in the behind lately. A couple of months ago the info center read Battery No Charge... the battery Volts showed 13.3 on the charge which is correct or so I've read. I put my battery charge on the battery, checked all the connections to the battery. Later that day I drove the car and no more message. Then two weeks ago on my 27 mile drive to work the lights dimmed, car died and the info center read Battery No Charge once again. I knew my battery was old so I change that and still got the same reading then, I had the Alternator changed which cost me big bucks... The car ran find for the next 3 days then a mile from work I get the same reading on the Info Center. Needless to say I parked it and haven't moved it yet. Did I get a bad Alternator or could the problem be more complicated such as an electrical issue which I've been told it could be...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Battery No Charge

just had the same thing happen to my 94 eldo....

any 1 ??? sugestions ???

i did clean the terminals on the batt. , but the problem remains

thankx in advance

Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

My guess is that the GROUNDS need to be cleaned, and secured .. everyone of them.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

agree with stealth, had a similar problem on te weekend with a friends 65 El Camino, It wouldn't even start with a boost. We cleaned every battery connection. especially the grounds. When I say cleaned I mean we used the dremel with the wire wheel to take off every bit or corrosion. Battery tested at over 13 volts too. Once we buttoned it all up it fired right up.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

agree with stealth, had a similar problem on te weekend with a friends 65 El Camino, It wouldn't even start with a boost. We cleaned every battery connection. especially the grounds. When I say cleaned I mean we used the dremel with the wire wheel to take off every bit or corrosion. Battery tested at over 13 volts too. Once we buttoned it all up it fired right up.
I do hope that they also got a coat of dielectric grease.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stealth
I do hope that they also got a coat of dielectric grease.

[/quote]

Good point a $3 oversight on a hot Sunday afternoon. I'll see him tonight and suggest.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Where do you find dielectric grease? Is there a common brand name? I'm getting ready to do the grounds on my Eldo.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Any good parts store. Should run anywhere from $3 to $8 depending on size of tube. I am in Canada so Brands may not be the same, doesn't matter either.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

i get di-electic grease in 4 oz pressurized can, maybe around $10 now.
its part of my tool box, every connector I pull, gets it .. only exceptions are connectors inside trani or fuel tank.

SIDE battery TERMINALS get it too.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM

My 1996 Cad. Deville Concours has the same problem "Battery no charge" It cranks ok but I will try cleaning all grounds and see what happens.Maybe I will save hundreds of dollars that a new generator would cost. THANKS FOR THE INFO! Jimbob

Quick Reply: Battery No Charge