Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Best Way to Keep a Battery Charged??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Default Best Way to Keep a Battery Charged??

I have an 88 DeVille, which I drive very infrequently. I have been starting the car every other week or so to allow the battery to stay charged, but even this did not keep it fully charged. Then, I learned on this forum that starting a car and allowing it to idle for a period of time was not good for the car. So, can you help with this situation: what is the best way to keep a battery charged when the car is not driven often? I ask because I did drive it yesterday and then returned home after a short trip (just a few miles) only to have the car not start again because the battery was too drained. I don't want to get off somewhere and have battery problems. Thanks for your advice!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Best Way to Keep a Battery Charged??

your battery may be wore out and most older batteries have a hard time keeping a charge. my 92 deville needed a new battery cuz my older one didnt stay charged either. so every now and then my car wouldnt start. also another thing is that your alternator will charge better when your rpms are at 1500rpms-2100rpms. so when your car is at idle which is at about 800rpms the alternator is barely charging the batery, instead it is using most of its power to run other electrical parts i.e.(fuel pump, injectors,ignition system,digital display,etc). so taking the car for short trips may help but also if your battery is old it may be to weak to keep a charge.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Best Way to Keep a Battery Charged??

a piece of a prior post:
go here for the complete write up:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_5795/tm.htm

The single most important thing for storage is to prep the car and engine, warm it up thoroughly before storage, park it, turn it off and LEAVE IT ALONE. Do NOT start the engine occasionally as this just creates tons of moisture in the oil and exhaust system that cannot be dried out without driving the car. Even long idles for warmup will not dry it out. Park it and leave it. Disconnect the battery neg cable to prevent slow discharge and put a Battery Tender on it. Not a trickle charger but a Battery Tender . "

ORIGINAL: theatreman

I have an 88 DeVille, which I drive very infrequently. I have been starting the car every other week or so to allow the battery to stay charged, but even this did not keep it fully charged. Then, I learned on this forum that starting a car and allowing it to idle for a period of time was not good for the car. So, can you help with this situation: what is the best way to keep a battery charged when the car is not driven often? I ask because I did drive it yesterday and then returned home after a short trip (just a few miles) only to have the car not start again because the battery was too drained. I don't want to get off somewhere and have battery problems. Thanks for your advice!