General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

best way to go about changeing heater core 1991 cadillac brougham

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Default best way to go about changeing heater core 1991 cadillac brougham

hello so i need to change the heater core
the car: 1991 cadillac brougham rwd 5.0L 305
my question is whats the best way to go about it and the easiest way
im lookin for tips before i go and tackle this out ..

also ive got a bottle of stop leak radiator (liquid aluminum) made by rislone
should i even attempt to put this stuff in to stop te leak maybey?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Why not throw in the bottle of stop leak and see what happens. It is not permanent you will need to have this repaired but at least it may allow you to drive the car to a shop.

Heater core jobs are some of the most time consuming known to man. If you are going to do this yourself it really is a bad time of year. Even though the weather has been good extreme cold and snow is forecast for this weekend.

Is this a hobby car or your daily driver? If it is a hobby car park it and worry about it in the spring. If it is a daily driver go see Joe at JB Racing, 186 Bartley Drive #13, 416-755-6612, Eglinton and Victoria Park area. Tell him Big Ray sent you.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Katzmans Caddy
Why not throw in the bottle of stop leak and see what happens. It is not permanent you will need to have this repaired but at least it may allow you to drive the car to a shop.

Heater core jobs are some of the most time consuming known to man. If you are going to do this yourself it really is a bad time of year. Even though the weather has been good extreme cold and snow is forecast for this weekend.

Is this a hobby car or your daily driver? If it is a hobby car park it and worry about it in the spring. If it is a daily driver go see Joe at JB Racing, 186 Bartley Drive #13, 416-755-6612, Eglinton and Victoria Park area. Tell him Big Ray sent you.

thanks for the info Katz...yes its a hobby car at the moment as i dont drive her in the winter..and ye we got hit this weekend with the cold and snow which sucks..so i wont even be attempting this till the spring....from what i was researching its fairly easy to do as everything is located under the hood underneath the heater box etc..thanks goodness I dont have to pull the dash!! ...ill definatlety keep jb raceing in mind if i run into any snags...

thanks for the info man.! its really appreciative

Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Since it is a hobby car then go for it. I also have a hobby car and working on it is a big part of the fun of having it. I suggest that you take plenty of digital photos prior to disassembly of the heater core box and removal of all the other hoses and brackets that will be in the way. I always do this and it is very helpful when putting things back together. Doing research is a great way to understand the job at hand. The best resource you can get is a Factory Service Manual which gives you step by step instructions and figures for reference. I don't have a 1991 manual but I do have 1993 through 2005 for various Cadillacs. It does not look like a terrible job. You can also get a Haynes Repair Manual at Canadian Tire. The Haynes for your car is #21030 for Cadillac rear whell drive models 1970 - 1993 so I'm not sure how helpful that would be as every car is a little bit different.