General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping noise in the speakers when outside temp is cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Default Popping noise in the speakers when outside temp is cold

I have recently purchased a 2006 Cadillac CTS - we live in Alberta, Canada - on the second day of owning this vehicle we had a frosty night - when I went out to start the car - after several minutes, a popping sound came from the interior of the car. After investigating I determined that it was coming from the speakers - we had 2 weeks of cold weather after that and each time I start the car I get the same popping/feedback noise coming from the speakers. Once the car warms up the noise goes away, and only at that point am I able to listen to the stereo. All this time while the popping is going on, the stereo/radio will not work but other components of the electronic dashboard seem to work. Even when I turn the car off and remove the key, the popping continues. When the weather got extremely cold, -30 degrees Celcius, when I would use the automatic car door opener - the popping noise would also start. A couple of times, I parked inside a heated garage, during these cold days - there was no problems. So that is telling me that it has something to do with the temperature and the electronics of this vehicle. All other parts of this car work extremely well, and you can tell it was well looked after - I purchased this from the original owner, who always kept it in a heated garage. This is my first Cadillac and my first luxury car...and I love it - with the exception of that confounded noise. If any one has ever heard of this or could offer a solution, I would be most appreciative. I am almost ready to disconnect the stereo/amplifier - but would like other suggestions - and no I am not building a garage for it, as I have one but it houses my husband's antique truck and he won't push over to make room for this car.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Default Popping noice/electronic feedback of some sort in speakers when temperature is cold

I have recently purchased a 2006 Cadillac CTS - we live in Alberta, Canada - on the second day of owning this vehicle we had a frosty night - when I went out to start the car - after several minutes, a popping sound came from the interior of the car. After investigating I determined that it was coming from the speakers - we had 2 weeks of cold weather after that and each time I start the car I get the same popping/feedback noise coming from the speakers. Once the car warms up the noise goes away, and only at that point am I able to listen to the stereo. All this time while the popping is going on, the stereo/radio will not work but other components of the electronic dashboard seem to work. Even when I turn the car off and remove the key, the popping continues. When the weather got extremely cold, -30 degrees Celcius, when I would use the automatic car door opener - the popping noise would also start. A couple of times, I parked inside a heated garage, during these cold days - there was no problems. So that is telling me that it has something to do with the temperature and the electronics of this vehicle. All other parts of this car work extremely well, and you can tell it was well looked after - I purchased this from the original owner, who always kept it in a heated garage. This is my first Cadillac and my first luxury car...and I love it - with the exception of that confounded noise. If any one has ever heard of this or could offer a solution, I would be most appreciative. I am almost ready to disconnect the stereo/amplifier - but would like other suggestions - and no I am not building a garage for it, as I have one but it houses my husband's antique truck and he won't push over to make room for this car.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM

How long after you started the car did the popping begin? How long of a warm up before the popping stopped? Do you still hear popping if the radio volumn is turned all the way down?

If the popping only comes from the subwoofer the problem may not be from the radio as much as from the amplifier that serves only that one speaker.

It's good that the problem can be reliably reproduced--that simplifies troubleshooting somewhat. You can use a can of freeze spray to simulate the cold temperature. I does sound like there's a break in a conductor in the electronics somewhere. Contraction due to cold widens the gap enough to cause a disconnection across which a charge builds up; the popping sound is the discharge of that charge across the gap. When the car warms up enough, expansion causes the gap to close enough for the disconnection to "heal" temporarily.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Thank you for your response. The popping noise begins a few minutes after the car starts (usually) but we have seen the popping begin simpy by unlocking the doors with the automatic car door opener, however the temp on those days was extremely cold. The popping noise occurs if the volume is up or down, even when the radio is turned off. Do you have any recommendations as to a resolution? Could we simply disconnect the amplifier? One technician from a Cadillac dealer thought that there was a bulletin regarding a problem with the amplifier in cold weather but did not have time to find it that day, and we were just visiting his city.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Even with the radio OFF?!! It doesn't seem that that should be possible. I would pursue the service bulletin issue to its conclusion. If the radio is off, all speakers should be unpowered, in my opinion. I don't see the logic in designing an audio system to be "always on". It sounds to me like there's a defect in the system somewhere. Hopefully, the service bulletin will nail the issue exactly, and maybe get you a free solution.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Default i think.....

It sounds like when somebody clicks the roof of their mouth with their tongue. It never comes out of the same speakers (though sometimes comes out of more than one). It doesn't matter if you are playing the CD/cassette/radio. Even with the sound turned down, the "click" can be heard at the same low level. There seems to be no pattern and it happens so intermittently that I can never get a Toyota service person to hear it. Any thoughts?
thanks!!!!