General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

messed up car computer cause occasional power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Default messed up car computer cause occasional power loss?

Hi,

My car is Cadillac Seville STS 1994, been about 150k. At one time it had radiator problem when the engine went really hot and the computer screamed to me telling me to stop the car. Since the the radiator had been replaced, but something weird is still going on until now. Every now and then, the car computer displays message that the engine is too hot and that I need to turn off the engine immediately, but soon I figure out its a false alarm. It doesn't debilitate the car, I can still drive it fine. Yes it is annoying to hear alarm every now and then with false message, but whats more annoying is along with the alarm, the engine rpm suddenly drops for about 2 seconds, before it comes back up to previous rpm. It's like your car suddenly lose power and slows down in a jerky motion. I think this may be part of the warning system installed by the cadillac people because other than that no other engine malfunction happens. Does anyone every experience this? What is it, and is the fix is as simple as removing this annoying part from somewhere in the engine?

JD