Website Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions for how to improve the forum, or have a question about the forum itself, this is your section. Any questions pertaining to cars should be posted in technical sections.

computer virus and worms - Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Default computer virus and worms - Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer

I received an e-mail from administrator cadillac forum saying that i had a virus on my computer. I am checking to see if this is feom you or is someone tring to mess with me.

Last edited by Stealth; 02-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Its spam. I get those type of private messages on other vBulletin forums all the time. DON'T CLICK THE LINK!!

Scott

Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrwillc
I received an e-mail from administrator cadillac forum saying that i had a virus on my computer. I am checking to see if this is from you or is someone trying to mess with me.

interesting, this site would have no way to know that specially since you never posted here before.

as the post above states, probably malicious spamboots ...

delete, dont follow the links.

Last edited by Stealth; 02-13-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Angry

I received too :

Dear, 65CAD;shyne19;zkeyser;Steve818;memez!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately ********* do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administration *********

Last edited by Stealth; 02-14-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified Members

I have gotten TWO of them in the last couple of days. One from "TeamModerators", and one today from "Admin&Moderators"...
It's definitely a spambot, and DO NOT click on ANY of the links! The real tip-off is the date of membership, and the "Junior" member status...that and the mis-spelling of words.
It's frustrating, but these guys that do this have nothing better to do than mess with people. My guess is the stuff is originating in China somewhere...probably some 12 year old that thinks it's funny.
I don't...

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM

I literally JUST got this one:

Dear,Ten _Bucks!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately youdo not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administration

Scott

Last edited by Stealth; 02-14-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

TeamModerators and admin&Moderator have been dealt with.

also the links posted above have been removed .. its best that way.

any others?

thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM

I'd suggest making it to where any new member has to have at least 15 posts before they can PM anyone if you have that power. That has seemed to help with this same problem on other vBulletin forums I use.

Scott

Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks
I'd suggest making it to where any new member has to have at least 15 posts before they can PM anyone if you have that power. That has seemed to help with this same problem on other vBulletin forums I use.

Scott

we had that once but it created a reverse problem.

its pretty easy to post 15 times in a few minutes then PM spam to those with less than 15 posts and they cannot PM someone like me either., to inform of what is happening.
its a double edge sword ..

best solution is to inform when someone is doing that.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
we had that once but it created a reverse problem.

its pretty easy to post 15 times in a few minutes then PM spam to those with less than 15 posts and they cannot PM someone like me either., to inform of what is happening.
its a double edge sword ..

best solution is to inform when someone is doing that.
Ah, I see. I never would have thought of that. I guess I will stick to informing the staff of this site of more of those annoying PMs. I did that on another Cadillac forum that I got 4 in the last 3 days and now they're dealing with it.

Scott

Quick Reply: computer virus and worms - Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer