General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head bolt time srt installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Default head bolt time srt installation

I have a 97 deville and have beenloosing coolant through the resevoir overflow. I've been told by a cadillac tech that it was more than likely the head bolt threads pulling out. I've located the repair kit to do this work and I've worked as a machinist on aircraft for a long time now, so I know how to do the job. Myquestion is can I pull the engine without droping it out the bottom of the car sperate from the transmission? And is it possible to remove the heads with the engine in the car. I was thinking if I could let the engine tilt forward to clear the fire wall would give me enough room to work the rear bolts. Any help will be greatly appciated. Cessnatech

Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Default RE: head bolt time srt installation

I've been in the factor manual, and I can remove the engine thru the top side. Want have to jack thecar into a death trap position.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

Engine can come out the top, it's better to drop it all out the bottom. Follow eldo instructions and remove balancer and bolt to ease removal and installation. Not all Northstars have to be "time-serted" overheating is a major factor with softening the aluminum. Being you work on aircraft maybe able to tell if "time-serting" is required. Trying to do it in the car is tricky,it can be done, but not recommended.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply Slowroll, I take it I will have to do the head bolt torque check to be morecertain that this is my problem. Haven't started the job yet, still getting my ducks in a row.Still hopeing to find something simple to fix it. I don't really thing this will happen. Cessnatech