General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gear indicator flashes and parking brake won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Default Gear indicator flashes and parking brake won't engage

I have a '99 Cadillac DeVille Concours that I've had since new. A problem started occurring a couple of weeks ago. When started up cold and driven only a short distance (like to the end of my driveway), if I stop and put the transmission in Park, all the gear indicator lights in the instrument cluster flash. Also, if I apply the parking brake, it won't stay engaged unless I turn off the engine. After driving a few miles the problem disappears and everything works as usual, and the problem won't reoccur until the next time I start the car up cold. There are no codes being set at all. I might add that about a month ago I had to have the torque converter solenoid replaced, which was done by the Cadillac dealer. This is the only repair that's ever been required on this car which currently shows 62,000 miles on the odometer. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, and if so, what the cure is? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Gear indicator flashes and parking brake won't engage

Flashing PRNDL can be caused by faulty or misadjusted park nuetral switch.Most likly there is a code(s) stored.I suggest to check shifter cable adjustment and for worn or missing bushing.Parking brake has a vacuum release and is designed to apply vacuum to release brake when car is in gear. There is a good chance when one repair will fix both problems.Hope it helps

Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM

OK, I just started the car and experimeted with moving the shift lever slightly. I found that moving the shifter back slightly (probably 1/8 inch) while in the Park position makes the P light stay on and the parking brake to stay stay applied. If I release the lever and allow the shifter to move forward to it's "resting" position all the gear indicator lights begin flashing again and the brake releases. So, now I have to decide whether to junp into this myself, take it to the dealer, or just live with it. (What are the chances that, if left along, it will get worse, or progress to a "no-go" condition?)

Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

You can adjust it yourself.Shifter cable adjustmant is at trans,you will need metic tools to do it along with a flat surface.Park car on flat surface,apply parking brake and place something in front / behind tire to make sure car is not going anywhere.Pop hood remove hose from air cleaner to engine.Place shifter in nuetral,you should have a floor shift so move shift to N then push handle forward without pressing button so handle is against stop.Stop is built into shifter to prevent shifter from going into reverse without pressing button.Cable goes to lever on trans,hole in lever is slotted loosen nut holding cable to lever and retighten it should be in a slightly deferrent place. Reconnect anything you unplugged so you don't turn ses light on. Then recheck see if that takes care of it. Repeat if it still not right.Hope it helps

Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Great, I think I can handle that. I'll try it first chance I get and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help!