General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring out a power issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Unhappy Figuring out a power issue

OK

Sorry in advance if this gets long winded just want to get all the details in there.

6 months ago battery died so I got a new thinking eh batteries wear out.Then last week went out to start the car after if had sat 3 days and the battery was dead.IT was the first cold days we have had and the alarm was on so I thought maybe it was a fluke.Charged the battery and off I went.Started the car and drove it several time that day no problems.Then went to start it today after it sat for only 2 days and yep almost dead battery.Hmm put it on the charger and top it back up.Checked to make sure no lights were left on and this time the alarm was also off.After charge it cranked right up I turned the display to battery voltage and it read 14.1 I think ok lets drive around and watch it see what happens.Stay at 14 with headlights,defogger,and wipers o at first.Then I brake and it drops to 13.3 then jumps right back to 13.8 I figure the air pump to the rear shock must have cycled on.So I drive a bit further it drops to 13.3 I turnoff the defogger and and radio.Still 13.3 Turn off the wipers in heavy rain that was interesting still 13.3 turn the headlights off it goes to 13.5 but never any higher NO matter my speed from idle to 75 on the interstate stays 13.5.

Any ideas what may be going on is the alternator no putting out enough or could maybe it be a bad cell in the battery.

I really hate electrical bugs.