General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Deville Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Default 2001 Deville Power Steering Issue

Hey guys, a few weeks ago my rack and pinion went out on my deville, the driver side screw on the rack backed out and then the right side bracket snapped because of all the pressure on it. I got it towed to my buddys shop. We replaced the steering rack, put a new power steering pump (ac delco remanufactured) and a new serpintine belt (duralast). And new power steering fluid (autozone recommended presotone power steering fluid, it says it works for gms on the bottle, dont know if this is the wrong fluid and is attributing to my problem.

Now when the car is at low rpms there is a loss of power steering but it comes back on as soon as you give it some gas. Sometimes it even goes out around sharp turns if your not gassin into the turn. I dotn know if the idle is low and the pump is not gettin enough power, the sitting idle is 675 (just recently did a plenum boot it was ripped and the cars idle was all out of wack) now thats fixed but dont know if that idle is too low. The system also seems to be creating a lot of pressure in it, whenever i take off the cap to check the fluid alot of air rushes out. I read somewhere there is a set of valves on the system to help alleviate presure, maybe thats my problem. Also the power steering lines which are original look to be in good shape to me, no kinks.

And help would be greatly appreciated. Its my Dads car and hes 70 years old so he cant even drive the thing since he doesnt have the strength to turn the wheel when the ps goes out.