2001 cadillac deville transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Default 2001 cadillac deville transmission issue

ok so i have a 01 deville 70,000 mile and it had a abs light and traction light on when i bought it so i had a buddy put a wheel bearing on cause it was bad and a cv joint on cause it had holes in the boots and was spitting grease. when i picked it up all lights were off drove it home about ten miles parked it went to drive it later and it will not go in gear he came to check it out realized the cv joint he put in broke at the joint closes to the trans ordered a new one from GM and put it in still will not go in gear but if u take it to grand or so it will start moving really slow like it wants too. The one that broke was slightly differnt then the one from GM the one from GM was slightly tapered where it slides in trans the one he put in wasnt it was the same shape though still will not shift in gear and now if u turn it on it pushes trans fluid out of where u add fluid i had it towed to a transmission shop who told me they would find the probem for free but all they did was start it and tld me it doesnt shift in gear so they would have to drop it and they said if i agree its a $2700 job cause they are ganna rebuild it any advice would be great thank you justin

Last edited by justinkinney; 07-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

I can tell you this....$2700 for a rebuild is cheap, for that trans....assuming it actually needs a trans repair..
It was working/driving, then it quit moving. The new axle broke, so you installed another axle, and it still won't move. It's possible that something in the diff was damaged from the axle that wasn't right. or the same as the GM axle you bought. It's really hard to say, without seeing the axles themselves. The spitting fluid out of the fill tube is strange, unless the trans is waaaay over full of fluid.