General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Default Coolant Question

I recently purchased an 05 CTS, 3.6 auto, w/ 40Kmiles. I've been reading the coolant issue threads so I plan on changing the coolant soon, as a preventative maintenance measure. I've noticed in my local auto parts store that Prestone has a "Dex-Cool approved" coolant available. My question, is this equivilant to what you'd get from GM, or just "one size fits all" advertising? Even Prestone's regular product says its compatible with "any color coolant". That sounds fishy to me.
My gut says get it from GM. My wallet says why pay them more for the same thing I can get at Auto Zone. I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.
As a side note, do the coolant issues apply to the newer cars, or was there "teething" problems when Dex-Cool was first intorduced. I read about issues with the "4100" engine but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for all the great info here. Mike.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Coolant Question

ORIGINAL: Underdog

I recently purchased an 05 CTS, 3.6 auto, w/ 40Kmiles. I've been reading the coolant issue threads so I plan on changing the coolant soon, as a preventative maintenance measure. I've noticed in my local auto parts store that Prestone has a "Dex-Cool approved" coolant available. My question, is this equivilant to what you'd get from GM, or just "one size fits all" advertising? Even Prestone's regular product says its compatible with "any color coolant". That sounds fishy to me.
My gut says get it from GM. My wallet says why pay them more for the same thing I can get at Auto Zone. I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.
As a side note, do the coolant issues apply to the newer cars, or was there "teething" problems when Dex-Cool was first intorduced. I read about issues with the "4100" engine but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for all the great info here. Mike.

the issues apply to ALL Aluminum engines, including Ford, GM, Toyota, etc, etc,
dont skimp here .. headgaskets aint cheap.