General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caddy died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Default Caddy died while driving

I was just driving at about 35 mph and the car died in traffic. Luckilly I could coast to the side of the street. I put it in park and restarted immediately.Ran smooth as usual. I questioned my wife as to whether or not she had used any gas other than premium in the car and she said she had used some regular.from ARCO which has ethanol in it(10 or 15%) I believe.

I think it was a fuel issue but has anyone experienced this? This car only has 45K on it but I think its time for new plugs.I'm sure they have never been changed. I personally don't like to run plugs more than 20K,but I just purchased this car last month.

Any help will be appreciated,I'm in the dark on this.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Caddy died while driving

Year make and model needed for help.

Some Northstar engines had revised crank sensors for this problem.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 AM

My best friend's husband's DTS was doing that. Believe he bought it used at a Ford dealer. Told him to take it to Huber and let the experts repair it. He did and it's fixed. Don't know the underlying problem, however. He's not a car guy and doesn't care. He's been driving Tauruses for twenty years. I always go on about my Cads and we drive them around in our SRX now and then. Imagine my surprise, actually, imagine his wife's surprise when he came home one night driving the epitome of American luxury. He's crazy about the car and even better, his son is as well. Maybe we'll save one from the fast and furious trend.

My husband filled the SRX, V8 AWD, with swill from a local food mart that took a month to work through the system. The car never died on me but I had to look around for witnesses before starting it in my garage near work. It would take the poor thing around 30 seconds or so for the idle to smooth out. I don't like my Cads being anything but perfect around the unwashed masses. They're always quick to latch onto the negatives. I only run Shell high octane in all my cars. The Avalanche takes regular, but it only sees Shell as well.

You have to be careful in agricultural regions. Always fill the car up before local road trips. You'll find major brands in the hinterlands but often the octane is only 85 or so ethanol. Got stuck with the Z06 in that situation a year ago. Loaded a couple of gallons and took it easy the rest of the way home. Back to civilization to dilute with a tank of Shell. No noticeable problems.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM

My 1995 Seville SLS with 108,000 mi just had the same problem! The car would die in traffic. My mechanic just replace both crankshaft sensors and we've has no problems since. Dick in Lynnwood, WA

Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 AM

My 02 DeVille with 72k miles was fresh out of the Cadillac Dealer for the second time for a transmission problem. (a $3500 repair lasted only 1000 miles!)

While on my drive home cruising down the highway at 70 mph the engine kicked and died! The engine simply shut off while cruising! I have never, ever had a car act like that, and this car has never done so before now.

I put the car in PARK after pulling onto the shoulder of the road. This was late at night. All lights stayed on, so an electrical failure was ruled out. I noticed a terrible oder, something like rotten eggs. I turned the key and the engine started right up. No missing or other issues other than the strange oder. The car ran fine for the trip home, and has done so for the past week.

Is there a way to display the code history via the D.I.C. like I can with my 04 Vette?

Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 AM

I found this bit of info on how to pull the OBDII codes... Too bad it doesn't work on my 02 DeVille.

Accessing Diagnostic Codes
For driveability and emissions problems, you can access trouble codes and sensor data the usual way with a scan tool, or you can read the information through the Climate Control Center. To enter the built-in diagnostic service mode, press the OFF and WARMER buttons simultaneously and hold until all the segments on the display panel light up. If there are any engine or other trouble codes in memory, they will be displayed.
On the 1993-'95 models (pre-OBD II), trouble codes have a letter prefix, three-digits followed by a "C" for current or "H" for history code. On the 1996 and newer cars with OBD II, the prefixes are somewhat different and the codes are four-digit numbers. On the earlier cars, engine codes have an "E" prefix. On the later OBD II cars, "P" is the prefix for powertrain. Other codes on the earlier cars include "I" for instrument panel, "A" for the A/C system, "R" for the air bag system, "T" for ABS/traction control, and "S" for the electronic suspension. On the newer OBD II cars, the prefixes are different. You'll see "IP" for the IPC instrument panel, "AC" for air conditioning module, "TC" for traction control, "RS" for the road suspension system, "SD" for the air bags, "PZ" for the body control module, plus other codes for other accessories such as "CC" for the cell phone or "RF" for the integrated radio. If there are no engine/powertrain codes in memory, the display will read "No E Code" or "No P Code" depending on the model year. To check for other system codes, press the WARMER button to scroll ahead (or OFF to scroll backward). If the PCM can't communicate with a particular system, the display will read "No X Data" where X represents the letter(s) of the system. To clear an engine code, choose PCM mode after any codes have been displayed, then scroll to CLEAR CODE, press the HI button to select, then press the HI button again to erase the code(s). To exit the service diagnostic mode, press the AUTO or DEFOG button, or simply turn the ignition off. This does not erase any codes. There's More, Lots More...
The built-in diagnostics provides access to each of the onboard electronic systems, which you can scroll through using the LO button. To select a system, press the HI button.
If you choose the PCM mode (powertrain control module/ engine), you can again use the LO button to scroll through more display options: DATA, INPUTS, OUTPUTS, OVERRIDES, CLEAR CODES and SNAPSHOT. As before, press HI to select your choice. Under each of these categories are quite a list of things you can look at. Under PCM data, you can look at all the various sensor inputs, short-term and long-term fuel trim, injector pulse width, engine rpm, battery voltage and PROM identification. Under PCM INPUTS, you can check switch status (throttle position switch, brake pedal switch, transmission gear switches, etc.). Use the PCM OUTPUTS mode to check the EVAP and EGR systems, torque converter clutch solenoid, A/C compressor relay and transaxle solenoids. The OVERRIDE mode under the PCM section allows you to override the various inputs to the PCM using the WARMER button to increase the value or the COOLER button to lower the value. Overrides include the TCC solenoid (mode PS01), EGR solenoid (PS02), idle speed control motor (PS03), disable individual fuel injectors (PS04), disable fuel pump relay (PS06), cruise control servo (PS07), cooling fan relay (PS08), spark timing advance (PS09), injector flow (PS10) and transaxle shift solenoids (PS10).

Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 PM

2000 Seville..... this happens to me on a daily basis, apprx 5-10mins after I turn on the car it dies. When I restart it I have no futher problems for the rest of my trip.

Also, you can see your Diagnostic codes by inserting yourkey and either having it in the ACC position or turning the car on, then bypressing and holding the "Info Reset" & "On/Off" button together. Your dash will go dark and then all the lights will come on (just like when you start the car) and then in the Info Center you will see the Diagnostic codes cycle through. You can go back or forward by pressing the "Info Up/Down" button or allowing them to cycle through on their own.

Cosmictrucker, this may work on your 02 Deville.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM

I may be wrong but doesn't the Caddy shut off ifoil pressure is too low? Mine had died on me a couple of times. Thinking of that I check the oil and is a little low. Add someoil then its gone for a couple months with no problems.