General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

buzzing sound from dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Default buzzing sound from dash

hi, i have a 1999 cadillac sts, and when i put the key in and turn to on when the dash lights up, i hear a buzzing sound from the left left of the dash near the lights/twilight, any one got a clue?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Default RE: buzzing sound from dash

I too have this problem, sounds like a small motor with a bad bearing/low lub.. Mine goes away (almost) when the temp outside is warm of if the car is totally warm (inside temp). I am "guessing" it has something to do with the heating cooling system, as in the vents. Just a guess that its a duct door that is not working. I notice my car doesnt heat on the drivers side floor. Again I'm assuming this is why. The gear or motor that moves a vent door inst working is my guess. its going ot be 30 or lover here for the next few months so I hope somebody can give us some idea waht this is. I would just unhook whatever it is if i could, but I have no idea. As you metnion it sounds like it towards the top of the dash.. and unless Im worng its going to be really ugly to get to.

Somebody must have an Idea?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM

ya , i found out what it was, it was the in car temp sensor, the fan was making noise. i need a new one. its behind that little inch by inch box left of the steering wheel on the dash.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM

and its a nightmare to get to.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM

what do you need to take apart to get to it? Bottom of dash, front? can you give me a general idea where i need to go? And.. where did you get the new part, or where do you plan on getting it?

thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Gm dealership should have the part, in car temp sensor, as to get to it?! im not sure i just know its alot to take out, you should order a Haynes Cadillac Repair Manual of your year and modelfrom amazon or book store, it should show you how to. actually it will show you how to.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 PM

Well some more research on web and found out its not so horrible. The little square vent beside steering column needs to come out (use a stiff piece of wire with a hook is the advice i have read). Also the cover on side of dash, the one with teh rubber grommet that fits to door when closed. The a long extension and a 7MM socket. Should be able to get it out. carefull not to pull screws all the way out as you will drop them. You can pull it out and if lucky, just oil it. its just a simple fan (actually same model as was used on CPU fans in computers a few years ago, so you can pick it up for about $5 at radio shack (well, if yours still actually stocks parts, ones areoun here just sell cell phones and crap like that)) the fan (radio shack) can be spliced in.. or as you metnion its about $50 at dealer or gmparts direct. I am going to attemp it this weekend, will report how easy/hard it is. I am also going to get one from the local GM dealer as even if its easy to oil, i just prefer a new one.. heack the last one lasted 90,000 so a new one should last the life of car for me. most posts say its a 15-30 minute job. Have also read you can (sometimes) buy a can of compressed air 9for computers and such) and blow into it and it will fix it sometimes.. might be worth a check ..simple fix if $3 would do it.

Oh, its to pull air from the passenger compartment over the sensor, fan runs all the time.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM

thanks, i tried and there is a piece holding the pad from coming out, so i guess details on how would be great, i have a 1999 sts i dont know if you have the same model oryear but im sure they are similar in operation. ya , the buzzing is annoying , you cant hear it driving but its still in need of fixing. thanks.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Ok did it on friday. took about 30 minutes, if I had done it before I would say 10-15 minutes max (install and remove, not to fix the part). I took it apart once outside of the car and removed the small sticker on back of motor and oiled it as the dealer didnt have one in stock.

First, take lower panel off dash, as in under the dash(black on mine), there are two phillips screws just under front edge of dash.Then there, is onebolt under that on the left side, 7mm, same size you need to remove the screw holdingthe piece we need to get out. The I took the side panel off the dash (large rubber grommet that seals to dorr when closed side, front of it pops out and it just comes off. There is one more screw there holding that ned of dash in place. once those two screws are out the lower part of dash should have some play, you will need to use a small amount of force later. Ok now the little vent screen (1" square on front of dash) needs to come off, it makesit easier to line up. I just used a small screwdriver, it just pops out too if you are carefull. Now you just have one screw left, the one that holds the actual problem piece in place. if you look in from side of dash you can see it, takes fairly long exstenstion. Here is the hardest part, screw it out butbe carefull not to drop the screw. My hands fit, but only barely. I pulled it out. Now the piece is all lose except for the wires. I had to put a finger in through the hole in front of dash, and myhand in throuhg side. then once you get it soits turned and starting to pull out you can pull fingetr out of dash. Now you need to pull left side of dash down a tiny bit, the pice wont come out without the dash pulled down a bit. Just pull it out, unplug it, get some fine oil (i used marvel mystery oil). pull the thing apart, its hinged plastic with some tiny tabs you need to push in. it comes apart a tiny bit hard as the fan fits in it tight and will create some resistancve when opening. once open you can pull plastic label off back of motor. I dripped the bearing hole full of oil and used my thumb to push it in, basicly just fill the tiny hole and press thumb tight against it, it should push some oil down shaft. I did this 2 times. then cleaned up the back and reaplied the sticker/seal. I used a razer to get the seal sticker off. The just put it all back toghther. Its a tiny bit hard to line up, but not to bad. Take the screw and use tape or something to keep it in the socket, line it all up and screw it back in.

Like i say, once done i would say its about a 10-15 minute job, double it for first time. Mine makes NO NOISE at all with the oil, if it will last, i have no idea, but with no part in town I decided to give it a try. For what a dealer would charge Im glad i did. There is a much better write up on this and other forums.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Oh when you say piece holding pad from comming out, I assume you mean the part(pad?) you need to losen the screws I mention on left ned of dash and you can pry it down just enouhg to get it to pop out.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by clok1966
Ok did it on friday. took about 30 minutes, if I had done it before I would say 10-15 minutes max (install and remove, not to fix the part). I took it apart once outside of the car and removed the small sticker on back of motor and oiled it as the dealer didnt have one in stock.

First, take lower panel off dash, as in under the dash(black on mine), there are two phillips screws just under front edge of dash.Then there, is onebolt under that on the left side, 7mm, same size you need to remove the screw holdingthe piece we need to get out. The I took the side panel off the dash (large rubber grommet that seals to dorr when closed side, front of it pops out and it just comes off. There is one more screw there holding that ned of dash in place. once those two screws are out the lower part of dash should have some play, you will need to use a small amount of force later. Ok now the little vent screen (1" square on front of dash) needs to come off, it makesit easier to line up. I just used a small screwdriver, it just pops out too if you are carefull. Now you just have one screw left, the one that holds the actual problem piece in place. if you look in from side of dash you can see it, takes fairly long exstenstion. Here is the hardest part, screw it out butbe carefull not to drop the screw. My hands fit, but only barely. I pulled it out. Now the piece is all lose except for the wires. I had to put a finger in through the hole in front of dash, and myhand in throuhg side. then once you get it soits turned and starting to pull out you can pull fingetr out of dash. Now you need to pull left side of dash down a tiny bit, the pice wont come out without the dash pulled down a bit. Just pull it out, unplug it, get some fine oil (i used marvel mystery oil). pull the thing apart, its hinged plastic with some tiny tabs you need to push in. it comes apart a tiny bit hard as the fan fits in it tight and will create some resistancve when opening. once open you can pull plastic label off back of motor. I dripped the bearing hole full of oil and used my thumb to push it in, basicly just fill the tiny hole and press thumb tight against it, it should push some oil down shaft. I did this 2 times. then cleaned up the back and reaplied the sticker/seal. I used a razer to get the seal sticker off. The just put it all back toghther. Its a tiny bit hard to line up, but not to bad. Take the screw and use tape or something to keep it in the socket, line it all up and screw it back in.

Like i say, once done i would say its about a 10-15 minute job, double it for first time. Mine makes NO NOISE at all with the oil, if it will last, i have no idea, but with no part in town I decided to give it a try. For what a dealer would charge Im glad i did. There is a much better write up on this and other forums.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Oh when you say piece holding pad from comming out, I assume you mean the part(pad?) you need to losen the screws I mention on left ned of dash and you can pry it down just enouhg to get it to pop out.
I appreciate the feed back of this site iv just read some things that saved me so much time and money