General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Default Brand new battery dead

I went to look at a 91 deville today. Beautiful, everything looked good. CarFax was good on it. It wouldn't start. It had a brand new battery (2 weeks ago) The guy said he hadn't driven it except to move it. I left.

He called and said he had it jumped by the same guy that put the battery in and he said the guy told him you have to start the car every few days. And run it for at least twenty minutes.

Does this sound like a wiring problem?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM

I have a 91 deville and it will do the same thing... it has electronics on it that stay on all the time.... most newer cars will do it also.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default keep the electronics on standby

Originally Posted by MoreQsThanAs
I went to look at a 91 deville today. Beautiful, everything looked good. CarFax was good on it. It wouldn't start. It had a brand new battery (2 weeks ago) The guy said he hadn't driven it except to move it. I left.

He called and said he had it jumped by the same guy that put the battery in and he said the guy told him you have to start the car every few days. And run it for at least twenty minutes.

Does this sound like a wiring problem?
maybe, maybe not.

Our space age cars keep the electronics on standby, computers with data, etc. That reduces the cold/hot cycling shock which can and is detrimental to silicone devices. You will find the same thing at home, your computer, TV, etc..

Two weeks can do it if the battery is not fully charged .. I would expect that a fully charged battery would hold up longer ...

I normally park cars up to a month and expect to have enough e-juice to start them .. when they got GOOD and FULLY charged batteries.

IF the car has a typical discharge problem, I would expect that a fully charged battery would not start the car after maybe 3 days. These problems are commonly caused by a bad trunk pull-down & door lock.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I sort of agree - but how old is the battery and how long have is really been parked, with NO devices turned on when that happens in two weeks or less?

Originally Posted by Texan4Life
I have a 91 deville and it will do the same thing... it has electronics on it that stay on all the time.... most newer cars will do it also.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Stealth,

The battery is only a month old and apparently won't start after sitting for a week.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the car. I will just disconnect the battery if I leave it parked. What do you think?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Hey i dont know much, but i had battery trouble a little while ago with my 89 eldorado. Look and see if your terminals are corroded. Also it could have a bad alternator thats killing the battery