General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Default Advice for a beginner

Hi everyone,

May I request some advice for a complete beginner? I am an Australian living in The Netherlands and I am going to buy a Cadillac and do a lot of cruising with it around Europe. There are several (links below) which I have been looking at.

Of course I will be getting a mechanical check before buying anything, but are there any specific Cadillac issues I should look out for? E.g. What are the top 5 things I should know before buying? Also, and I dont mean to offend, but are these older cars suited to long road trips? What basic spare parts should I take with me?

Thanks in advance for any useful tips, much appreciated.

Happy Easter,
Dave

http://zoek.autotrader.nl/www/classi...00705273261557

http://zoek.autotrader.nl/www/classic_advert?make=Cadillac&keywords=&min _pr=&max_pr=&min_year=&max_year=&m in_mileage=&max_mileage=&distance=&pos tcode=&sort=18&dealertype_trade=on&dea lertype_private=on&source=0&wasback=y& id=200703271420304#

http://www.fcars.nl/showroom/details.php?carId=223

http://zoek.autotrader.nl/www/classi...00708277932344

http://zoek.autotrader.nl/www/classi...00711281264078

Old 04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Advice for a beginner

My personal choice would be one of the 1976's, only because I've neverhadany of the others. This car is extremely suited for long rides, but will definately put a hole in your wallet for petrol.With this big v8 you should only expect to get around 10 to 12 mile per gallon, (not sure about liters).Also it was the last year for a caddy rag top. However, that is all based on condition of each individual auto.
The 76 has a great motor, as long as it has been cared for. You will feel like you are floating over the road. Remember this auto is 31 years old. Check power top and all power windows for function. Ac heater power seats etc. All fluids. See if there is any noise when making a sharp turn. Also between the tailights and the body there is a piece that tends to wear out over time. I made a fiberglass mold for mine. Any of those cars I would have checked out by your certified mechanic, unless you are a good surveyor yourself.
Can you provide any translation in English please regarding the links you have posted,as to mileage and price US dollars.

Good hunting!!!!!!!!

G.A.R.Y.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Dave:The first thing that I would ask is do you plan to do the repair work, tune ups and maintenance yourself on the Caddy once you buy it???? If the answer is yes then you will be able to afford to keep a caddy. If the answer is no then you will be driven to the poor house trying to pay the mechanics off. They can be a very finicky car to own simply because they have some very complex systems installed. The older ones are a lot simpler to work on but harder to find parts. I own a 1981 Brougham 2 dr Coupe and find it quite easy to find parts but a real challenge to work on. When it is up and running properly you will be most happy with you Caddy, however you have to decide ahead of time how you propose to get it there and keep it there. Happy motoring...........................

Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Okay, you'll have tons of fun on the roads of Ye Olde Worlde in a converible land yacht!

The '67 with the 429ci is the peppiest of all, with the '72 not far behind. In '76 you'll find a bowl of spaghetti under the hood connecting the gazillion
emission control devices and performance is somewhat diminished, although all have awsome low-end torque. Also, the Eldos are front wheel drives, and
you may find handling a bit different than that of the deVilles.

Make sure the roof does not leak - cold showers aren't always fun.
Your brakes must work 100% (espec. if you cross the Alps), and of course the rubber that meets the road should be fine;
The '67 and '72 have points, so take a set with you with a fresh condenser (and maybe a coil); An H.E.I. module (and maybe a coil) for the '76s;
Check the C.V. joint boots on the fwd models (replace if they are dried or torn);
A spare starter motor;
A fresh battery ( and perhaps an alternator);
Basic fluids (antifreeze, motor , tranny, brake, PS oils);
Check all the hoses and belts (if they look old, change them all before the trip);
Baling wire and duct tape;
Basic tools and lotsa common sense (cell phone!)

Even if you yourself aren't going to fix stuff, having spare parts in the trunk can speed up repair in shops that aren't used to see Yank Tanks every day.