Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Just purchased an 00' DTS..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Default Just purchased an 00' DTS..need advice

Hi guys I am new to owning a Cadillac and new to this forum. I just purchased a 2000 Deville DTS that I am picking up on Saturday. It will have 55K on the clock by the time I get it home. What should I look for mechanically and anything I should know right of the bat?? Thanks!

Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Default RE: Just purchased an 00' DTS..need advice

check the wires and the timing belt, get a tune up. also it needs to go through a 120 point check up. otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the butt in the near future.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't have sparkplug wires or a timing belt.

If it runs good don't worry about a tune up till 100k miles.

These cars are great for letting you know if there is a problem.

If the cars computer picks up any low fluid levels or electrical or emmision problems a message will promptly apear on your dash.

Take it to a local dealer for an oil change.

They are great at checking your car over for potential problems.
If you feel they may be misleading you about something get a second opinion.

Otherwise search this site and you will find others with the problems they have encountered with there cars.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 AM

Pull up the rear seat and check the battery located under the right rear passenger's area. Be sure the battery is not leaking any acid. Check this frequently. I let it go on my '00 DHS (because it's a minor hassle to get to). My original battery got old, leaked like heck, and burned a hole clear through the floor pan. I could see the pavement underneath. What tipped me off was that I could hear the exhaust sound through the hole. I "fixed" it by gluing a sheet of plastic to the floor to keep out water, noise and exhaust. This is a common problem and there is a factory fix to the tune of $500 (they install a new floor pan liner in the well.) The Deville series and Pontiac Bonnevilles of that era both suffered from this problem. I suggest you replace batteries before they get too old and start leaking.

I love my DHS. I bought it new and have 80K now. The DHS and DTS are upscale versions of the standard Deville and worth the extra bucks for what you get.