General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerator wont go down!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Question Accelerator wont go down!

Ok i am trying to figure out this problem. Today when i was driving my 1990 deville 4.5 with 167,000 miles i turned a corner off the main road and went to push the gas after the turn and it would not go down for nothing pushing as hard as i could! pushed the top of the pedal the bottom of the pedal and nothing. There is nothing behind the pedal either that was my first thought. after a minute my pedal restored to normal. Then i left about 30 minutes later to go to the dmv. I drove about 2 miles to the highway then about 5 miles down the highway with no problems. Then when i get off on the exit ramp the problem accurs again i cant push the pedal down with all my might!, but after a minute it restores. Didnt do it again the whole way home. I NEED HELP! i am about to take this car to kansas city this weekend and i dont need the accelerator not working halfway through the 2 hundred mile journey from wichita. Is it the little deal with the pin that sticks out that pushes the accelerator cables? I forgot what its called i think its controlled my the ignition control module which is brand new on my car along with a complete tune up. Someone please help!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

Unless there is something loose or out of place near throttle body blocking movement, there is no reason you can push pedal down. Ignition module has nothing to do with it. Carbon build up can cause high effort to break throttle loose this normally only happens on accel from a stop. Is it possible car did not go when pedal was pressed?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Default confusing

Originally Posted by slowroll
Unless there is something loose or out of place near throttle body blocking movement, there is no reason you can push pedal down. Ignition module has nothing to do with it. Carbon build up can cause high effort to break throttle loose this normally only happens on accel from a stop. Is it possible car did not go when pedal was pressed?

No i have alot of experience with cars just not this issue yet. Yes the car did not go because the pedal would not go down with all of my effort. like trying to push a wall down with my foot.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

If something is hanging the throttle on the engine side, pushing the pedal "with all my might" would most likely break the cable, or, at the very least, snap the ball off of the end of the cable. This kinda makes me think it is something inside the cabin causing the problem.
Have you looked under the dash to see if something might be falling down, or otherwise getting in the way of the linkage on the top side of the pedal assy, above the pivot point? You say you looked for anything under the pedal, but...
It could be something hanging the linkage at the throttle body itself...perhaps an errant rock, or even a left over nut from a squirrel's visit?
Another thought is the cable itself. Check the ends(both ends) for any signs of fraying, and look the cable over from end to end, looking for anything that may have damaged/melted/kinked the outer sheathing. The inner cable can fray inside of the outer sheathing, and create a bind similar to what you describe.
Make sure the air cleaner housing is not interfering with the throttle linkage...that's something that happens quite often.
If you can find no obvious causes, like some foreign object in the way, I'd suggest replacing the cable itself, just to be safe.
hth

One question...does the car run ok? No missing, or rough running?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM

I will check the cable tomorrow. My car still runs a little rough it was bad when i got it. Ive done complete tune up and brand new brake system (every part) I have an exhaust leak that i cant figure out there is a rubber hose off the back of the engine that connects to a pipe off the side of my cat, i cant figure out what it is our how to fix it or if its even a big deal noone seems to know what it is. its an exhaust leak so i figured thats why my car is still running a little rough and it about due for motor mounts. plus im only getting like 10.7 miles to the gallon in the city i figure thats from the exhaust leak also? I just want to get my car running GREAT not ok. I think all of you for the advice/help

Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Chris90Deville
Ok i am trying to figure out this problem. Today when i was driving my 1990 deville 4.5 with 167,000 miles i turned a corner off the main road and went to push the gas after the turn and it would not go down for nothing pushing as hard as i could! pushed the top of the pedal the bottom of the pedal and nothing. There is nothing behind the pedal either that was my first thought. after a minute my pedal restored to normal. Then i left about 30 minutes later to go to the dmv. I drove about 2 miles to the highway then about 5 miles down the highway with no problems. Then when i get off on the exit ramp the problem accurs again i cant push the pedal down with all my might!, but after a minute it restores. Didnt do it again the whole way home. I NEED HELP! i am about to take this car to kansas city this weekend and i dont need the accelerator not working halfway through the 2 hundred mile journey from wichita. Is it the little deal with the pin that sticks out that pushes the accelerator cables? I forgot what its called i think its controlled my the ignition control module which is brand new on my car along with a complete tune up. Someone please help!

a toyota cure has been found?