General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 El Dorado Ignition/no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Default 86 El Dorado Ignition/no start

Hi everyone. I just found and signed up for this forum and hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction. I would kind of consider myself to be a shadetree mech. My Biarritz has been sitting (due to accident) and I need to get it going. When I turn the key I noticed that there is no friction at all; no stops from acc/ign/start. And no spring return from start position. Obviously something wrong with it, although I'm not sure if it is the main cause of the no start. BTW, when I tried jump starting they're were no sounds at all in the start position. I have taken the steering wheel off and am down to the turn signal assembly. Frankly, I'm concerned about going to far and not being able to get it back together (Murphy has visited me too many times to mention). Can anyone clear my mind on the next steps to remove the ignition key lock? Anything I should be careful of? Any help would appreciated!
Once I get starter going <g> the car has been sitting for about a year.
What is the best approach to getting the engine back to life? (Low mileage btw, 140M, and was sound before the accident).
Thanks everyone! Doug