General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 DOESN'T START

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Default 68 DOESN'T START

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so hopefully this is in the right place. If not, feel free to slam it.
I have a 1968 Cadillac DeVille (convertible) and it isn't starting.

Well, to be more exact, it starts perfectly fine while charging the battery (either from the wall or a car boost) but after you drive it and park it and turn it off, it won't start again.
The battery is fully juiced but something is happening when I hold the key down to start it.
The starter motor turns over really really reallllly slowly and gets a bit faster as I hold the key down but never enough to actually get her up and running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
MM

Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 68 DOESN'T START

Possible causes corroded battery terminals. Under sized battery, should at least 600cca I pefer the highest cca battery that will fit battery tray.Under sized or mended battery cables. Cable end kits are realy a temporay fix cable will corrode within casing, breaks or cuts in casing will cause the same.Both cables should be at least 4 gage wire, I pefer 0 gage and the correct lenght.Poor or corroded connections at block (-)or starter (+).Some older cadillac should have large braided ground strap from frame to outer starter mounting bolt,between starter and bolt.Worn out or incorrect starter - have tested at local auto parts store.Hope it helps

Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

MM

Slowroll gives you good advice. Additionally, there isn't much you can do here to get slammed. Extremely friendly site. If it's posted in the wrong forum we will let you know and with YOUR knowledge move it to the appropriate place. No worries here mate. Check out the site and have fun and get some great tips from our techs.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey there Agent: If the bushing in your starter are getting worn out it will be very sluggish turning over, also if the solenoid is getting tired it will also drain your cranking amps. Run a hot lead from your battery to the starter and see how fast it turns. This will bypass all the other things. If it runs fine then you will know that it is something in between the battery and the starter. Solenoid about $50 and new starter with solenoid about $180 so worth the investment if you love you're ride..........

Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the help.
Today is Saturday...I'm going to look into the problem and get back to you here...

CHEERS

MM