General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 ATS Needs it's 5th Radiator (Oh, and CUE failed)!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Unhappy 2013 ATS Needs it's 5th Radiator (Oh, and CUE failed)!!!!

I have a 2013 ATS (2.5L). As the title says, the car has had four radiators since new. I am smelling coolant again when I drive, and the lower reservoir is low, so I'm guessing the car needs it's fifth radiator.

Is anyone else having so many problems with the radiators on their ATS's?? The dealer tells me they replace lots of them, but I can't find any complaints about this issues online.

I'm out of warranty on the car (just turned 100k last week), but had the fourth radiator replaced out of warranty mostly paid for by GM (after a lot of phone calls).
I would like to get the root cause of this fixed so I don't need a new rad every 20k miles, but doubt that is going to happen at this point. Looks like another week of arguing with customer service to get this covered.

In addition, the touchscreen on my CUE died this week too (2nd CUE unit in the car), the first replaced under warranty. Not sure what to do about this one, I can't afford a replacement currently, and really don't think I should have to pay for it.

Such a shame... I love this car, but I can't remember a car I've owned that has had so many issues as this one (there's been more than just these two).

Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

Where is radiator leaking? Have they all leaked from the same place? Has radiator cap been replaced? I would have cooling system checked for CO. If radiator is leaking it will have to be fixed before testing. I would also have radiator cap tested to be sure it does not allow cooling stem to over pressurize.