General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CTS Coupe shudders under light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Default 2012 CTS Coupe shudders under light acceleration

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm a new Cadillac owner as of last Saturday (3/23/13).

I bought a lightly used, 2012, 5,141 miles, CTS Coupe, 3.6, Premium.

I love the car, but I have noticed there is a shudder under light acceleration sometimes. It feels like the engine is missing although something tells me it could also be torque converter or variable valve related.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,

gbrad

Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Default Hello GBrad

Originally Posted by gbrad
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm a new Cadillac owner as of last Saturday (3/23/13).

I bought a lightly used, 2012, 5,141 miles, CTS Coupe, 3.6, Premium.

I love the car, but I have noticed there is a shudder under light acceleration sometimes. It feels like the engine is missing although something tells me it could also be torque converter or variable valve related.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,

gbrad
Hello GBrad,

First of all I wanted to say congratulations on your purchase of the 2012 CTS Coupe. Also, welcome to this forum! I am glad you decided to interact on this site. Glad to know that you love your car. However, I am sorry that you are experiencing an issue regarding the acceleration. You may be experiencing a shudder due to the gear you are in. Under light acceleration the transmission will only allow shifting from first to fourth.

Also, you could be correct regarding the shudder being an issue with the torque or valve. In this case, it is best to get it diagnosed and taken into a dealer.

I am more then happy to set up an appointment with a dealer so they can take a look at the issue for you. You can private message us on this forum with your name, address, phone number and VIN# so we can further assist you. If you would like me to set up a dealership appointment for a diagnosis on your vehicle, please let me know, along with the days and times that best work for you.

Sincerely,
Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 AM

I would agree, take it to a dealer. If it's a year old and very low miles, it should still be under Bumper-to-Bumper warranty.

TS

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I will be seeing a dealer about this. I was mainly curious to see if it has been a known issue with these vehicles.

When I contacted the local dealer they were courteous and quick to tell me that my warranty covered maintenance as well as regular warranty issues.

Even though I did not buy the car from them they seemed ready to help.

That kind of attitude will keep me buying Cadillacs in the future.

Thanks for the kind offer, Laura M., it's good to know that you are monitoring this site.

Thanks for your input Simpson Truck Driver.

I'll post results after I take the car in.

gbrad

Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM

I know this thread is a year old, but I have a new 2014 CTS performance coupe I purchased in Nov last year and it has done the same thing, shuddering under light acceleration. it does it throughout various speeds and it seems to be when you lightly accelerate it seems to downshift one gear and thats when you get it. I tried to duplicate it in manual stick mode while going at the same speeds and downshifting and lightly accelerating but it doesn't do it. Only when in Automatic. I haven't made time yet to schedule an appointment, I will soon. Did you ever figure your problem out?

Last edited by Tech-Savvy; 04-01-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tech-Savvy
I know this thread is a year old, but I have a new 2014 CTS performance coupe I purchased in Nov last year and it has done the same thing, shuddering under light acceleration. it does it throughout various speeds and it seems to be when you lightly accelerate it seems to downshift one gear and thats when you get it. I tried to duplicate it in manual stick mode while going at the same speeds and downshifting and lightly accelerating but it doesn't do it. Only when in Automatic. I haven't made time yet to schedule an appointment, I will soon. Did you ever figure your problem out?
Hi Tech-Savvy,

I can understand how that acceleration shudder would be concerning. If you would like to discuss this further, you can PM me or email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “Attention: Austin” in the subject line. Please include your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information within the correspondence and I would be happy to contact a dealership on your behalf.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 AM
Default Help

Know this thread is older...but what was the cause of shudder...just purchased a 2012 cts coupe with 50k and it is doing exact same thing....
What makes me nervous is a guy assuring my wife when she got it that it underwent like a 170 point inspection....but had they drove it the problem is extremely obvious.......calling them today. Just didn't want them to try and feed me a line.... I know a faulty coil pack under load can do this or torque converter... Purchased from a Cadillac dealer as certified

Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wesjxxx
Know this thread is older...but what was the cause of shudder...just purchased a 2012 cts coupe with 50k and it is doing exact same thing....
What makes me nervous is a guy assuring my wife when she got it that it underwent like a 170 point inspection....but had they drove it the problem is extremely obvious.......calling them today. Just didn't want them to try and feed me a line.... I know a faulty coil pack under load can do this or torque converter... Purchased from a Cadillac dealer as certified
Hi Wesjxxx,

I’m sorry to hear that your CTS is experiencing a shuddering issue. If you do plan on taking your vehicle into your dealership, we would be happy to communicate with them or even help you set up an appointment for a diagnosis. If you would like us to assist, don’t hesitate to send us a private message or email to socialmedia@gm.com Please be sure to include your VIN, contact information and the name of your preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Shane M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 AM

My 2014 is still doing it. I brought it in 8k miles ago, they said they couldn't reproduce it, it is doing it way more frequently now. Will be bringing it in again soon. Let me know what they find on yours.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Default Shuddering under light acceleration

HI\i,

Mine was the torque converter.

It took them several test drives before it happened with them.

They immediately replaced the torque converter at no charge.

There is a service bulletin on this issue.

Mine has been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: 2012 CTS Coupe shudders under light acceleration