General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 CTS 3.6 DI Steering locked, Brakes not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Post 2008 CTS 3.6 DI Steering locked, Brakes not working

I have a question on a problem I encountered today. Well first off I bought my car brand new, had it for 5 years and put about 74K miles on it. First problem I had was within 2 months of owning it, brakes mad lots of noise. Then about at 30K it was misfiring. 55K the cooing system went out and car overheated. Now about 2 days ago at 74K it started misfiring again (according to the code). Called the dealer and set my appointment to get it fix. But since I couldn't take it until a week later I decided to change the spark plugs and air filter to see if that would solve the problem (didn't do the coils because they weren't available). At first it felt like that solved it but after some driving the code came back and the car was "stuterring" when accelerating. It still ran good when going at steady speed. So on saturday I was on my way to work, already settled that I would have the dealer fix it when driving on the 405 freeway (Los Angeles) the car was driving fine. I was going about 35-40 due to traffic, but then it started to shake very violently when I would barely press the gas. Soon after the display came on saying to service my traction control, then it said to change the oil (which I had just done a month ago) then it said fluids were low and next thing you know it was just flashing all kinds of problems. I was coming down the hill from the valley into the city and decided to pull over but my steering wheel locked on me, it was very tight and could not move it. So I figured to just stop but the brake pedal wouldn't move and the car wasn't slowing (emergency brake wasn't working either). Luckily I was going about 35 at the time and since traffic was stopped ahead of me I slammed the tranny into park so I wouldn't crash. All this was in the fast lane, got stuck for an hour just parked then had it towed to the local dealer. Sorry for the long story but what could have caused this? and since I only have the powertrain warranty left would that cover it?