Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Driver's door stuck in locked status

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Default Driver's door stuck in locked status

This question might be asked in a more general forum, but I will try here first. I can enter my car from the passenger side. My driver's door cannot be unlocked and cannot be opened. The key lock is ineffectual, and merely rocks to and fro with no resistance. The electric lock driver has no effect on THAT door. I have accessed the metal rod, inside the door'e elbow rest, liberated it from the en***brance of its rocker button, and attempted to pull it towards the front of the car, which is the direction commensurate with unlocking the lock mechanism. It doesn't budge at all.

Can anyone advise how to get the door open?

This has "Catch 22" written all over it. I seem to have to open the door to repair the mechanism, but I cannot open the door.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Driver's door stuck in locked status

With window down using a flashlight you may see what wrong. To remove door trim panel while door is closed is very difficult if not ruin it getting it off. A "slim jim" is a handy tool to get door to open when this condition occurrs.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Default RE: Driver's door stuck in locked status

Excellent advice. Yes, a "slim jim." I will consult AutoZone today on this matter.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Default HELP! Having same issue with driver door

2003 Seville SLS. Driver door will not open. Key lock moves lock up and down but apparently not enough to effectively allow door latch to open door. Electric lock does not work either.

I have pushed and pulled on the door - still does not budge.

I have pried the door open with the window down but I can not tell what can be moved to help un-stick the door.

I have taken the passenger door apart to see if I could learn from that door how to fix the driver door... but got no where.

I have created a sort of slim jim but I can not tell what to grab or push to help release things. I doesn't appear possible.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Does a service dealer have any tricks? Do they use a scope of sorts to see inside the door? Is there a special tool that might be available (other than slim jim's which I can not find anyway).

Thanks again for any help!