General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Escalade EXT

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Exclamation 2003 Escalade EXT

Hello i have a question. I recently had an instrument panel replaced because it wasn't reading the speed. Now i checked all the voltages and everything is ok, even my scanner is reading speed but the speedometer is not. Everything else works on it though. I replaced the instrument panel twice. Couldn't locate the relay for it either. Must be a secret location. now its really annoying trying to figure out whats going on especially since i dumped so much money. I would appreciate the help and thank you for any advice.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

The motor for speedometer wasn't very reliable in 03. New motor came out to correct condition and was covered under a special policy at on time. The problem is within cluster. I would talk to Cadillac Customer Assistance.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 PM

I have replaced many of these. I have even repaired some of the older ones.

You swap yours out for a remaned unit and they don`t always work for long.

You need to do one more swap. the third time is the charm.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 PM

I am having a similar speedometer issue with my 03 escalade ext. I just bought the truck about a month ago and the oil pressure gauge was working intermittently but everything else in my gauge cluster worked fine. I drove it for a couple weeks and then the speedometer stopped working so I had the cluster rebuilt. I found a local guy to come to my house and do everything. I reinstalled the rebuilt cluster and the speedometer still did not work. He put my cluster in his truck and it worked perfectly so I know the cluster is not the issue. The oil pressure gauge issue was corrected when I replaced the sending unit. I read on forums that the vehicle speed sensor could be an issue so I changed it but the speedometer still is not working. I checked all of my fuses and none are blown. I even pulled the IPC/DIC fuse, started the truck then turned it off and reinstalled the fuse and that didn't solve the speedometer issue. I also checked my battery connections. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue with my speedometer might be? I'm at a lost at this point.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 AM

you must clear all codes. When a code is set the computers turn off that circuit. Even after replacing like an alternator it won't charge unless you clear the code. It's to protect other circuits from damage. Some clusters need married to the vehicle vin every truck is different. Also most of the info to the cluster comes from the body control module. I hook up a scan tool and look at data. You can't just hang parts. I've replaced many clusters for failed speedo but I verified first with a tech 2. You need to inspect wire and speed sensor at transmission. Also look for codes in the body control module. Good luck.
Originally Posted by trahan.charlie@yahoo.com
I am having a similar speedometer issue with my 03 escalade ext. I just bought the truck about a month ago and the oil pressure gauge was working intermittently but everything else in my gauge cluster worked fine. I drove it for a couple weeks and then the speedometer stopped working so I had the cluster rebuilt. I found a local guy to come to my house and do everything. I reinstalled the rebuilt cluster and the speedometer still did not work. He put my cluster in his truck and it worked perfectly so I know the cluster is not the issue. The oil pressure gauge issue was corrected when I replaced the sending unit. I read on forums that the vehicle speed sensor could be an issue so I changed it but the speedometer still is not working. I checked all of my fuses and none are blown. I even pulled the IPC/DIC fuse, started the truck then turned it off and reinstalled the fuse and that didn't solve the speedometer issue. I also checked my battery connections. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue with my speedometer might be? I'm at a lost at this point.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:04 PM

So even though I have no check engine lights, there are still codes to clear? Can I do this without a mechanics help?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 AM

U yes. The check engine light is for engine and emissions. You can always clear codes by disconnecting the battery for a bit but that also clears moniters and that is a problem if you need an e check.
Originally Posted by trahan.charlie@yahoo.com
So even though I have no check engine lights, there are still codes to clear? Can I do this without a mechanics help?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 AM

[You should find a mechanic that can pull codes from the bcm the codes will clue you in on the real problem. I couldn't fix your truck without knowing the trouble codes first. [/B]
Originally Posted by djlan99
U yes. The check engine light is for engine and emissions. You can always clear codes by disconnecting the battery for a bit but that also clears moniters and that is a problem if you need an e check.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM

I'll probably call him to look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 PM

I brought my truck to the mechanic this morning and he worked on it for 6 hours to find out that the problem was not a code but a wire running from the vehicle speed sensor to the radio. Since the truck had the auto volume option, this wire was supposed to tell the radio to increase volume with higher speeds. The wire was grounding out for some reason and not allowing the signal from the VSS to get to the speedometer. I hope this helps someone else cause it was NOT cheap to find out the problem and thanks for all the suggestions.