General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Cadillac Deville northstar poss Alernator issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Default 1999 Cadillac Deville northstar poss Alernator issue.

My sons car died!!! Before it died the warning said system failing to charge, then he lost his lights and dash. He did manage to make it home but in is in the driveway dead to the day. I am at work right now so I can't look at it. I imagine it is a altornator issue.

1. How hard is it to change out an alternator?
2. Is there a site on the internet that shows how it is done?

Thanks in advance.
Gumby

Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gumby
My sons car died!!! Before it died the warning said system failing to charge, then he lost his lights and dash. He did manage to make it home but in is in the driveway dead to the day. I am at work right now so I can't look at it. I imagine it is a altornator issue.

1. How hard is it to change out an alternator?
2. Is there a site on the internet that shows how it is done?

Thanks in advance.
Gumby
Well today I bought the alternator at Autozone along with a new belt. The job took less than four hours start to finish and not that hard. I did take the left side dog bone off the engine, along with the fan, the battery needs to be removed and the belt tension pulley had to come off. Once the belt was off and the tension pulley was off I took the ground off the engine. The entire bolt came out so when you reinstall it use locktite. Took the front bolts off the alternator then got under the car....fun fun. the rear bolts are tough especially the on two on top since there is even a cut out for that bolt to come out to. After thirty minutes on the bolts I got them loose enough to undo them by hand. The alternator will now rest against the radiator and engine. So I very carefully moved it around till it dropped out.

Of course going back in I used even more caution not to damage the radiator. Had my son hold it from the top with a wire coat hanger while I gently guided it back into place.

The hardest part were the rear bolts!!! A good U handle wrench (15mm) helps.

It is not as daunting as I thought, very tedious, very frustrating for me as I am not a mech.

My son is happy, new alternator 125.00, new belt 30.00, rubbing into my son's face that I saved him 600.00 PRICELESS.