General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Deville.. Common problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Default 1998 Deville.. Common problem

Before you guys hond on me about not reading, I did.. I have read maybe 2 billion of the 50 trillion posts about Deville overheating. And it seems like a lot of them suggest things to do, and I do them, and then it doesn't help. SO I'm just gonna tell the story, and see if you guys can help.

I bought the car , IDK maybe like 5 months ago. Couple days after I bought it I drove it about 287 miles down to school. I drove it there for about 3 weeks, and I even delivered in it occasionally, when I had to . It worked just fine. Then one day at school I was driving and it was a hot day and I had been driving thru some windy roads and it overheated on me. To the point of shut down. So i let it cooled and drove it home. I went and got the oil changed the next day since it was giving me the message. Changed it and started driving it again and the temp was rising more than what I liked. SO I took it to Mienke I believe to get it checked and they said it wasn't the head gasket cause they did a block test or whatever, and that they think it was the radiator was starting to give out. One sympton at first was it looked like it was leaking coolant at night but there wasn't like a spot on the ground. So I had it trailored home and my dad replaced the intake gasket, radiator, water pump. You name it, if it was suggested on a thread we probably have done it. Everytime driving around like town is fine, ounce on the highway, boom. Overheats...

WOuld love some HELP ON THIS ONE!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM

BUMP!!

Come on guys, please help out.. NEED HELP BAD!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM

testing... testing.. one two three

Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Did you have to add anti freeze before you replaced everything? Have you checked to see if fans are working prior to replacing everything?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Yeah Fans work just fine. Added some coolant before started replacing everything when it overheated. After replacing things haven't had to add coolant really any.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by redboy4457
Before you guys hond on me about not reading, I did.. I have read maybe 2 billion of the 50 trillion posts about Deville overheating. And it seems like a lot of them suggest things to do, and I do them, and then it doesn't help. SO I'm just gonna tell the story, and see if you guys can help.

I bought the car , IDK maybe like 5 months ago. Couple days after I bought it I drove it about 287 miles down to school. I drove it there for about 3 weeks, and I even delivered in it occasionally, when I had to . It worked just fine. Then one day at school I was driving and it was a hot day and I had been driving thru some windy roads and it overheated on me. To the point of shut down. So i let it cooled and drove it home. I went and got the oil changed the next day since it was giving me the message. Changed it and started driving it again and the temp was rising more than what I liked....
If you did what i think it sounds like you did you just may have caused a possible head gasket leak. The leak may be a small leak but eventually will get worse. You also said the car said to change oil, when did this message appear?Did it appear after the overheating to the point of shut down? i also think if you replaced all the parts you did, then you must have a serious problem. Also check the air bleeder line to make sure that it is clean of ANY debris and not clogged. this can cause an overheating issue if its clogged. dont just check the hose check the metal piece it connects to by the engine.