General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Eldorado: Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Default 1996 Eldorado: Idle issue

Once warmed up, my Cadillac will die during idle. Runs fine at high RPM's.
I've replaced the Air idle intake & TPS sensor(Was busted but didn't fix it) and fuel pressure regulator. It still will not stay running, fuel pressure is fine then drops to around 20 then slowly drops then dies, doesn't like to restart after, takes 4-6 turns of the key.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM

"fixed" this problem, by cleaning out the throttle body and it was running fine for 2 weeks and the problem came back. I'm really at a dead end here, i've read other posts around here and other sites, about same problem and there doesn't seem to be a good answer for them, other the TB but some people that works others not...
Also, i've seen a number of people saying TPS and air idle intake sensors need to be reset, and others saying that they do not, and a number of ways to reset them... I don't know a whole lot about cars, but i'm learning... Here is what i know about my problem.

The car dies at idle because it has no fuel, runs fine everywhere else but once at idle something is not telling the fuel pump to kick on at the right time fuel pressure drops and the car dies, and i've never got a code when it dies.
EGR new, TPS new, Air idle intake sensor new, fuel filter new.
i've also cleaned the throttle body really well with out taking it off, the holes that connect to the air idle intake, the bore the plate, also i cleaned the MAF sensor with cleaner.
Any tips for something to try to help me troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM

check for leaks
also check all grounds fuel pump should not drop until u turn off the car
check fuel filter
and do u get a good air flow out the exhaust pipe