General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, fuel filter (s) location

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Default 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, fuel filter (s) location

Need help in find the fuel filter or filters for a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

I recently acquired a beautiful 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham after it had been sitting a in storage for a few years with the owner still keeping the car up by replacing brakes, alternator and things like that but the car wasn't really driven very often.
The car started fine and I drove it onto a trailer and started back home where I back it off the trailer. Everything went well until the car hit level ground, went dead and wouldn't start.
Part if not all the issue is probably old gas! The car really has the smell of old gas. After doing some research online I found possible locations for the fuel filter(s) for Cadillacs with a four barrel carburetor of this year. Nothing really helpful came up. After tracing the fuel line under the car, still nothing.

Does this car only have the one filter in the carburetor? This is the only one I can find. Maybe one in the tank?
Any help, comments or advice would be super appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 PM

On my 1980 deville it is on drivers side on frame, it is forward of the rear wheel, toward the front of car on the frame,
also as I remember a filter right in the carburator where fuel line enters carb.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:44 PM

Thank you, Scruffy.
I did look near the left rear wheel but very easily could have missed it; I'll look again.
Thank you for your advice.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:28 PM

I have owned many older caddies, one of the first things I do is change fuel filters, it is where I described.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:11 PM

The answer to your question would depend on if its fuel injected or not. Both of them will have a fuel strainer in the tank. The fuel injected model will have a frame mounted filter while the carb will have one on the carb. Fuel pump failure is very common on cars that sit. I would take the line loose and have someone crank it to make sure you are getting good flow first thing. The old fuel injection units looked like carbs from the out side and it is common for people to mistake them for carbs. If the 8th digit of the vin number is a "S" then its a carb but if it is a "T" then it is fuel injected.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:01 PM

Thank you, Short Fuse, that is some really good information. I will look at the VIN and see what I have. The fuel pump failure was a something that occurred to me. Wasn't sure about a filter or strainer in the tank. I thought I was loosing my mind when I couldn't find a filter on the frame rail I thought for sure was there. Now I know. Thank you.