General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Cadillac Eldorado Courtesy Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Default 1972 Cadillac Eldorado Courtesy Lights

I am working my way through a number of issues on my Caddy, but one has me confused. I hope someone can help. The courtesy lights in the car haven't worked for years. I fooled with them and got them working when the doors open and close. They worked properly for a week and then started staying on all the time even if the doors were closed. I replaced the drivers and passengers light switches that are activated when the doors are opened or closed but still the light stays on even when the doors are closed. I checked and made sure the headlight switch was rotated to the off position and it was.

If I manually press the switches, the lights dim but don't go off. The car is equipped with rear seat activated door locks that use a similar switch to activate them when the doors are opened or closed. Are they tied together?

Thanks for nyou help

Steve

Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Default Grounds

One of the biggest issues I find on the old cars is ground issues. Spend a half day if necessary and go over any ground connections that you can find. Loosen the contact point, wire brush it and then put it back together with dieelectric grease. Then when you have some issues you will know that grounds are not the problem. Corrosion is an old cars biggest enemy. You may have to take some things apart to get at some of the grounds but it will pay off in spades.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Default Ground Issue

You were right. When I put the passenger door back together, I had a ground problem. I straightened that out and the lights work fine. Thanks for your help.