General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1955 Speedometer cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Question 1955 Speedometer cable

Hi

In my 1955 Caddy, the speedometer cable is making some noise, and I want to replace it with a new cable.
Disconnecting it from the transmission seems rather easy.
But how do I get to the back of the instrument cluster to replace (disconnect/connect) the cable?
What is the easiest way of replacing it?
Do I have to take out the hole instrument cluster, or can I get to it, by removing the dash board (upper instrument panel)?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Per Kanne
Denmark

Old 11-29-2018, 11:27 AM

Did you ever resolve this? I'll throw some ideas your way if not.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Older isn't always better
Did you ever resolve this? I'll throw some ideas your way if not.
Hi again.

No - problem is not solved yet.
All help is appreciated.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:42 PM

My first car was a '55. I learned a lot on that old beast!
It's been 30+ years since I worked on one, so forgive me if something doesn't make sense...
Here's how I revived cables on a few cars:
Take pics and pay attention to the routing of the cable-see if there are any bad/tight bends, kinks, or if it has laid against the manifold/exhaust and gotten damaged. Take the connection off of the transmission and gently bring the cable up and into the engine bay-you should be able to get it into almost a straight line with it's entrance into the firewall. Using good pliers or locking Vise Grips, grab the inner actual cable (usually square) from inside the outer sheath and using a twisting motion gently try to see if the inner cable will pull out. If so, bring it out onto a clean sanitary towel or cardboard or newspaper, not dragging it through oil grease mud, etc. Pick up some graphite powder - I guess you should get that before you start in - good for keys, lock cylinders,... - I got my last one at O'Reillys -
Using a lint free cloth or nice blue shop towel, pour some onto that and then work the inner cable through the powder back and forth all along it's length. I've saved a few cables with this method.
Now, there is a chance the inner cable won't pull out with a good amount of coaxing; either its got a bad internal rust spot, or there's a 'keeper' on the speedometer end of the cable. In that worst case scenario, you are going to have to take it off. I have had better luck going up under the dash, and yes, maybe moving things out of the way as you progress.
You may also have a bad toothed gear which the cable hooks to on the side of the tranny. As I recall, there's one screw holding that gizmo on, and a plastic 6, 7, or 8 tooth gear will be accessible. These were pretty universal at the time, just get a replacement with the same number of teeth.
You may also have a bad (binding/tight) speedometer assembly. Junk yard time. Keep the old one if you ever want to prove the actual miles, and do***ent how many are on the 'new' one.
Hope I've cast some light on this problem. Good luck with your restoration!