79 Eldorado Biarritz: Trip OD Reset Extension Removal

Old 10-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Default 79 Eldorado Biarritz: Trip OD Reset Extension Removal

Hello All,

I have a 1979 Eldorado and since I’ve had it the trip OD has never worked. Well the heater core went bad the other day so while I was changing it I thought it would be a good time to look into the trip odometer. The good news is I quickly discovered the problem but the bad news is according to the service manual I need to remove the trip OD reset extension. It says to use a small blade flat screw driver (no helpful graphic). I’m not a novice to the delicate nature of ‘80s style trip odometers. I can see a release area where there is also a mark from someone prior but it isn’t obvious what should be done exactly to release the reset so I thought it was better to ask as opposed to guessing. The extension moves like a loose tooth and I can see it is moving around that release position.

Thank you,
Scott
BTW The heater core replacement went smoother than I expected. I was able to move the dash/ instrument panel assembly back far enough that it did not need to come completely out of the car. Finding a replacement Copper/Brass core seemed nearly impossible but I finally found what appears to be a NOS part.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Seems I attempted to post this in the wrong section previously but it didn't seem to post....

Anyway I did figure it out. I made certain I had the loose tooth in the maximum gap or most installed position and I depressed the area which I indicated looked like the release point and I pulled with very light force. It finally released easily without too much effort.

Now next question it seems I need to remove the speedometer needle. I've never done this any advice. The last thing I want to break is something I see every time I drive.

As well if I am approaching replacing the broken gear the wrong way and anyone has advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Toro455; 10-13-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Tried to add photo of speedometer needle area