Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Windshield Wipers-A Mind of Their Own

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Default Windshield Wipers-A Mind of Their Own

Dear STS Enthusiasts,

The wipers on my 1998 STS have developed a mind of their own. Every now and then, they come on very, very slowly-dragging along the windshield and occassionally, activating the squierter. Last time, I discovered that if I turn the wipers to high, I regain control and can turn them back off again. The car is heading in for service tomorrow. Any suggestions? I'm concerned that it's one of those phantom things that may not occur for the mechanic.

Thanks, Alan

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Windshield Wipers-A Mind of Their Own

so...... how'd you make out with the phantom wipers akolodny.................? wiper motor, or switch?
rickyd

Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Default RE: Windshield Wipers-A Mind of Their Own

Rickyd--Thank you for checking in! It was a control module. With labor and an oil change, it came to around 300.00.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Hey guys I'm having the same freaking problem with my 98 STS. My wipers come on only on high and when I flick the switch to a lower setting the just stop, cold. I have to activate them again by switching to high and turning it off exactly where I want it(down by the induction cowl). Also my damn cruise control isn't working when I push or pull on it. Could it be that the microprocessor is out on the wiper motor cover? Or could it be something else? I just find it weird that both the cruise and the wipers don't work. May the problem be in the column or is it somewhere else? Any input would be greatly appreciated, also the cars has no other electrical problems. One thing I learned about Cads is that they need to be indoors when parked especially in cold weather and wet weather, GM did not do a good job at keeping moisture out of elec. connectors (hense the common electrical problems Cads are known for). Thanks guys and remember to WOT once a month!