Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Trunk is wet 24/7

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Default Trunk is wet 24/7

I have a 98 Seville STS. There is a lot of dampness in the trunk. I can't put anything in it, mainly groceries, orthey will come out wet.

I've checked the weather strips, their fine. I've let it dry out by leaving the trunk open on nice days, but it gets wet again.
I thought maybe it had to be the strips like I missed something, but again it was wet and it hadn't even rained!

When its wet, everything in the trunk is damp. The bottom, the sides, the top. I don't get it!
So it has to be some kind of moisture problem. Help me out here!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
jim
Default RE: Trunk is wet 24/7

I don't know how large the trunk space is, but pertaining to another vehicle, I read that if someone can crawl inside with a working flashlight, another person (that has the keys!!) close the lid. That person takes a garden hose and waters down the trunk, you can then possibly see at least where it is entering. Usually it is weatherstrip, if not torn, then adhesivehas come undone underneath somewhere, allowing water to seep in under the weatherstrip. Hope you find it! Good luck, Jim

Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
jim

Below is a post from a former GM engineer who was helping someone with a similar problem with a cadillac allante. I believe some similarities on finding a leak in trunk. Hope this helps. Jim

You might also carefully check that the weatherstripping is glued into the track for the full length of the track. Work the weaterstripping to one side or the other to see that is is glued continously. One common leak source on trunks is a small area along the top or sides of the weatherstripping that is not glued. Water wicks under the weaterstripping at the spot where there is no glue and follows the weatherstripping track down along the side to the bottom lip. At the bottom of the track (back of the car) the lip is lower on the inside edge than the leak point was so the water cascades over the lip of the track and into the trunk. This is hard to spot as the water path will be almost invisible as it cascades over the edge of the track and the actual leak path is not where the water is running in but up along the top or sides where the weatherstripping is not glued. Crawl into the trunk with a trouble light, have someone close the trunk and run a hose over the trunk joint. If they start at the bottom and slowly move up along the side and top, yell when the water starts showing up and look at the spot where the hose was directed. I have seen a leak under the weatherstripping that was actually at the top edge that showed up as water pouring into the trunk at the latch area.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Jim,

i'm impressed. one by one everyone is getting hang-of-it
around this site.

BTW, he is still an engineer at GM, or so i hear.

thanks

ORIGINAL: jim

Below is a post from a former GM engineer who was helping someone with a similar problem with a cadillac allante. I believe some similarities on finding a leak in trunk. Hope this helps. Jim

Original: Name witheld by request

You might also carefully check that the weatherstripping is glued into the track for the full length of the track. Work the weaterstripping to one side or the other to see that is is glued continously. One common leak source on trunks is a small area along the top or sides of the weatherstripping that is not glued. Water wicks under the weaterstripping at the spot where there is no glue and follows the weatherstripping track down along the side to the bottom lip. At the bottom of the track (back of the car) the lip is lower on the inside edge than the leak point was so the water cascades over the lip of the track and into the trunk. This is hard to spot as the water path will be almost invisible as it cascades over the edge of the track and the actual leak path is not where the water is running in but up along the top or sides where the weatherstripping is not glued. Crawl into the trunk with a trouble light, have someone close the trunk and run a hose over the trunk joint. If they start at the bottom and slowly move up along the side and top, yell when the water starts showing up and look at the spot where the hose was directed. I have seen a leak under the weatherstripping that was actually at the top edge that showed up as water pouring into the trunk at the latch area.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

DO YOU HAVE A MOONROOF?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM

I have a 90 STS and have had some leakage into the trunk occasionally.

Your leak could be sourced around the car's back lite (rear window) weatherstripping.

JCS