Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Please help a newb with codes....any help is greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Default Please help a newb with codes....any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, as posted earlier. This is my first caddy(1998 sts) and when i bought the car it ran fine without any ses. So after couple days, I notice the ses came on so i ran a test by holding on/off and info button. These are the codes that came up:
amp u1255 current
ipc u1255 current
pcm p1350 history
pcm p1375 history
rim b1009 current
And all the rest are NO CODES. I also noticed it takes slightly longer to crank when the ses comes one. But once its off, it starts up no problem. Please Please Please explain to me what the problems are and hopefully how to fix.

p.S: I googled and searched this codes but i did not quite understand them. Like I said, its my first cadillac and I dont want to make this is last one. Thank you very much!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please help a newb with codes....any help is greatly appreciated.

check our faq section click on thread named codes, your answer will be there.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Please help a newb with codes....any help is greatly appreciated.

ORIGINAL: mrcrx28

Ok, as posted earlier. This is my first caddy(1998 sts) and when i bought the car it ran fine without any ses. So after couple days, I notice the ses came on so i ran a test by holding on/off and info button. These are the codes that came up:
amp u1255 current
ipc u1255 current
pcm p1350 history
pcm p1375 history
rim b1009 current
And all the rest are NO CODES. I also noticed it takes slightly longer to crank when the ses comes one. But once its off, it starts up no problem. Please Please Please explain to me what the problems are and hopefully how to fix.

p.S: I googled and searched this codes but i did not quite understand them. Like I said, its my first cadillac and I dont want to make this is last one. Thank you very much!!!!
history means it occured but is not happening anymore.
current means it is ongoing.
so, worry only about "current"

rim B1009 .. there is a whole thread by Rick on this exact subject. take a look there.

here is some techi stuff that affects the codes you are seeing ...

Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. When a module receives a message for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module which sent the message. These node alive messages are used for State of Health monitoring. A critical operating parameter is one which, when not received, requires that the module use a default value for that parameter. When a module does not associate an identification number with at least one critical parameter within 5 seconds of beginning serial data communication, DTC U1000 or U1255 is set. When more than one critical parameter does not have an identification number associated with it, the DTC will only be reported once. The following modules communicate on the class 2 serial data circuit:

• Audio amplifier
• Cellular telephone module w/UV8
• Dash integration module (DIM)
• Digital radio receiver
• Driver door module (DDM)
• Driver door switch assembly (DDSA)
• Electronic brake control module (EBCM)
• Electronic suspension control module (ESC)
• Front passenger door module (FPDM)
• Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)

service bulletins...
DTC U1000 or U1255 set current or history, with or without other DTCs

Recommendation/Instructions:
DTC U1000 Class 2 Data Link
DTC U1255 Lost Communications

These DTCs set when the control module does not receive a message that it was expecting from another control module, and does not know which control module did not send that message.

If the DTC U1000 or U1255 is set in history with other DTCs set current or history, diagnose the other DTCs first.
If the DTC U1000 or U1255 set current, this usually indicates a module that is currently not communicating or a configuration issue.
For example, if the control module is configured for an option (ie: Onstar, Keyless Entry, Memory Mirrors, etc.) that the vehicle does not have, it may expect to receive a message regarding this missing feature. This would usually occur due to the control module being recently replaced and incorrectly setup.

When the DTC U1000 or U1255 is current, the module that is not communicating may not even be listed on the Tech 2 on the Diagnostic Circuit Check/Class 2 Message Monitor list.
If the DTC U1000 or U1255 has set in history without other DTCs, replacing the control module setting the DTC is most likely NOT the solution. The module that has set the code is looking for an input from another module that is not communicating. Since the module did not receive an input that it is expecting to see, it sets a U1000 or U1255 which indicates there was a loss of communications. Look at the customer’s complaint (ie: intermittent, erratic tachometer operation); this will probably be a better indication of the control module that is the source of the concern.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(All GM vehicles using Class 2 communications)

bulletin..

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
When diagnosing a 2000-2005 Cadillac DeVille with an inoperative Radio and a DTC U1000 stored in the Radio, it is important to note that a loss of Class 2 communication between the Radio and Amplifier can cause this condition. If there is a loss of communication between the Radio and Amplifier, the Radio may appear to power up for approximately 3 seconds and then turn off.

Recommendation/Instructions:
As with all loss of communication concerns, inspect the power, ground, and serial data circuits to the suspect module prior to replacing any parts.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

bulletin ..

Some customers may comment that after starting the vehicle, the Air Bag Readiness Light/Indicator on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) flashes for a few seconds (6-10 times) and then remains illuminated until the next ignition cycle.

Technicians may find a SDM and IPC U1000 DTC and an OnStar® System U1088 DTC set in history.

Cause
This condition may be due to a unique Class 2 communication software issue within the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM).

Correction
Use the scan tool to:
• Perform the standard SIR diagnostic system check in order to verify the condition. Refer to Diagnostic System Check-SIR in the SIR sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

• Obtain the part number of the existing SDM.

On CTS models only, obtain the part number of the existing inflatable restraint front end sensor.
If the scan tool displays DTCs U1000 and U1088 and the existing SDM part number is NOT listed in the Parts Information table in this bulletin, go to Step 5 for DeVille and Step 6 for CTS.
If the scan tool does NOT display DTCs U1000 and U1088, perform the diagnostic procedure as indicated in the Diagnostic System Check-SIR in the Service Manual.
For DeVille models, replace the SDM only. Refer to the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement procedures in the SIR sub-section of the Service Manual.
For CTS models:
• Replace the SDM. Refer to the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement procedures in the SIR sub-section of the Service Manual.

• If the existing front end sensor is NOT P/N 25744736, replace it with P/N 25744736. Refer to the Inflatable Restraint Front End Sensor Replacement procedures in the SIR sub-section of the Service Manual.