Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

My 94 has kicked the bucket, lookin to buy a new DeVille, heres my choices, help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Default My 94 has kicked the bucket, lookin to buy a new DeVille, heres my choices, help appreciated

So i have a 94 DeVille Sedan and my coolant lines rusted out and a nice little air bubble got in and needless to say since i heard the gunshot that was my coolant lines exploding and the computer turning my car off in the middle of a busy highway, my Caddie hasnt been the same. So im in the market for a new DeVille. But i dont want to buy a new one i like buying used ones . . cause im cheap. So I went out and found a bunch, but at the end of the day two stood out.

1) 2000 DeVille base model. 134,000km : $10,900 yesterday, $9,900 today (Condition: mint)
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...p;adid=6582075

Very strange smell comes out of the A/C like an acidic vinegar kinda smell . . . maybe some cleaning agent they use. Body, brakes, tires, excellent condition. Been reading about some trouble spots and recalls. No codes tho. Havent taken it for a drive yet. Also some interior controls show wear to the point where you cant tell what the controls say.

2) 2004 DeVille (It says base, but im pretty sure its a DHS). 115,900km : $11,400 (Condition: minor paint missing on door edges, some scratches, service light)
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...p;adid=6509009

Very nice car, however the tires are worn. And there is paint missing on the edges of the door, not to bare metal but down to primer. Also some easily buffed out scratches. There is a service light on, however i printed out the DTC list and plan to test drive it tomorrow and pull the codes at that time. It has the A/C seats, heated steering wheel (which i am SO happy about) and the onStar system upgraded to digital, as well the upgraded leather package.

My friend who had been with me at the time prefers the 2000 since it is mint, but im tired of driving older DeVille's and am thus leaning towards the 2004. That and having driven my 94 in Winter and freezing my hands off on the steering wheel . . . . i like the heated option.

I would really appreciate any input on the decision i have to make, im trying to convince my friend that the 2004 is the better choice, but he doesnt like my argument that it has more options. Hes all about reliability. So any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My 94 has kicked the bucket, lookin to buy a new DeVille, heres my choices, help appreciated

The 04 is every bit as reliable as long as preventative maint. is done. Check our FAQ. I agree with you on the newer model if you can live with the blemishes. Without actually being there it's hard to say. Your choice will be the right one, because it is YOUR choice. In either case before you buy, take it to YOUR mechanic and check all fluids check for codes in history and frame etc. CArfax is not a bad idea. Good luck.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Default RE: My 94 has kicked the bucket, lookin to buy a new DeVille, heres my choices, help appreciated

I'ma little bias because Iown an 04 base Deville, and have been happy with it. I bought itoff leasein March 07 with 25,000 miles. Currently it has about 36,xxx miles. It has been a very good car so far, but I had a couple minor issues appear right after delivery.

Service Stability System: Steering Position Sensor was replaced.
Service Engine light: Air pump was replaced.
Noisey HVAC blower motor: Only appearant in cold weather. Theblower was replaced.

Check out the Service Light/codes. Hopefully its nothing major and the dealer will remedy.

Good luck.

-jasper

Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM

polaris where are you located and what kind of motor did you have in you 94 as well as interior? i may be willing to shoot you money for parts if they are good and the price is right