Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

parking brake adjustment 2000 STS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Default parking brake adjustment 2000 STS

Hi, This seems like it shouldn't be hard to figure out but I cannot find any way to tighten the parking brake on my 2000 STS. The rear disc brakes are in great condition and the parking brake does tighten a little but not enough to stop rolling from drive and definitely not enough to pass a Texas vehicle inspection. Maybe I missed something, but I have been under the car and looked along the entire length of the cables and I've looked under the dash but I have not seen a way to tighten. Thankyou in advance for any help on this.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Default RE: parking brake adjustment 2000 STS

bump

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Certified Members

What did you find will previous post months ago?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Hi, I've searched this site for and answer and did not see anything. Searched ebrake, e brake, parking brake and emergency brake. I did find one that said to press and release the pedal 3 times to adjust, I tried and it didn't work, it was for a newer model anyway. I'm sorry if i've missed it, but I have looked severy times and in different ways....Oh and I don't know what "bump" means

Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: dpv1977

Hi, This seems like it shouldn't be hard to figure out but I cannot find any way to tighten the parking brake on my 2000 STS. The rear disc brakes are in great condition and the parking brake does tighten a little but not enough to stop rolling from drive and definitely not enough to pass a Texas vehicle inspection. Maybe I missed something, but I have been under the car and looked along the entire length of the cables and I've looked under the dash but I have not seen a way to tighten. Thankyou in advance for any help on this.

bump ..
means that someone wanted the thread to be bumped to the top so someone would hopefully come along and see it, gettting you some help.

ok .. we need more details ...
how long have you had your car and when did this start?
were they working before?
how often you use the ebrake?

The solution depends on whether the cables are worn, rusted or the rotational piston in the rear calipers has failed from lack of use. unlikely that a 2000 car has worn cables.

You could be facing the replacement of the calipers.
There may be other solutions and problems .. but for now, that is a start !

if applicable, not using the ebrake, does have consequences beyond the parking brakes ..
look here:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_18890/tm.htm

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Hi, I need to apologize, I did ask this question a couple months ago but without going into details it had to be put on the back burner for personal reasons and I just completely forgot about it. I've had the car about 6 months, and never used the parking brake until it failed inspection. Slowroll told me the first time that the calipers might be at fault and that is probably right... the cables are very clean, not rusty. Sorry again. Oh, and I guess I am to gather that there is no adustment on the cable.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

FSM for 2000 Sevillle makes no mention of any adjustments to parking brake.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Hi, it was the passenger rear caliper. I noticed the spring that is around the cable was compressing all the way while the other side was not. In other words the spring was compressing before the pads had a chance to clamp down on the rotor completely. Replaced the caliper and it is good as new. Thankyou all for your time and help

Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dpv1977

Hi, it was the passenger rear caliper. I noticed the spring that is around the cable was compressing all the way while the other side was not. In other words the spring was compressing before the pads had a chance to clamp down on the rotor completely. Replaced the caliper and it is good as new. Thankyou all for your time and help
Thanks for posting your results, this could be of help to someone in the future.