Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Likely Electrical Problem

Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Default Likely Electrical Problem

Dear Colleagues,

I have a 1998 Seville STS with around 68,000 miles. Last night, I started the car, and the radio would not turn on. Hmmnnn, I decided to turn off the car and restart...well, the car then would start for a second, then die. At last inspection, the interior lights weren't working, no dash lights, and the power door locks are dead. It will start and then die rather instantantaneously. Any thoughts? It is in the shop now being diagnosed.

Many Thanks,
Alan

Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Default RE: Likely Electrical Problem

Mechanic says it is a problem with the Pass Key system..got to go to the dealership..any words of wisdom?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

May sound a bit rudementary, change to another key. Those little pellets sometimes wear out and send sketchy signals to the computer. I have experience this myself in an older GM vehicle I used to have. Key change solved my problem. I was lucky and they gave me three when I bought that car new, so my wife still had her's which worked well.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

May sound a bit rudementary, change to another key. Those little pellets sometimes wear out and send sketchy signals to the computer. I have experience this myself in an older GM vehicle I used to have. Key change solved my problem. I was lucky and they gave me three when I bought that car new, so my wife still had her's which worked well.
Doesn't sound like the pass key issue to me. I'vehadTHAT problem and it is just a shutdown ofthe starting process.I had similar light issues with my '90 Seville (similar to the STS, yes). Turned outto be body controller.Replaced that and MOST of the issues went away. Still has issue with the power locks and door sensors. BC wouldn't explain the engine running then stopping thing. Have you run the OBD?