Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nlehrenreich
.......................... The guy i bought it from said all it needed was a head gasket and he said everything else worked fine. .....................
And you bought it anyways ??? Wow !!!!
If it is just an instrument cluster then you got off lucky.

But then again....you have no idea if its running hot or not do you. Seein as all the gauges are out. Park it till you get your gauges and DIC working.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Well if you knew how much i paid for it you would of bought it too. It isnt just the instrument cluster, theres more to it then that. But im slowly eliminating things it could be.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Well i did some work to it today. We changed the battery termianl bolts and put brand new ones in, We checked 3 grounds under the hood, one to the fuse box and the two main battery grounds, we wire brushed them and put dielector grease on them. We also did the same for the two grounds under the back seat.

When we were checking the grounds under the back seat we noticed that a green wire seemed like it had burned and was no longer connected to anything, and an orange with white wire had been cut. Any ideas what they go to? Where could i get an interior wiring diagram? Could the problems be because of an ignition switch?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by nlehrenreich
Well i did some work to it today. We changed the battery termianl bolts and put brand new ones in, We checked 3 grounds under the hood, one to the fuse box and the two main battery grounds, we wire brushed them and put dielector grease on them. We also did the same for the two grounds under the back seat.

When we were checking the grounds under the back seat we noticed that a green wire seemed like it had burned and was no longer connected to anything, and an orange with white wire had been cut. Any ideas what they go to? Where could i get an interior wiring diagram? Could the problems be because of an ignition switch?
DUDE.... orange and white wire????? is that two wires, or one wire?
if you are excited with how little you paid for the car, then spand a little and maybe have it looked at... wee will try and help as much as possible. can you tell where any of the wires go?
im sure that they are affecting something.....
rickyd

Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 PM

I really need to know if i can get the wiring diagram online somewhere, anyone know?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Yesterday I found and fixed the problem. Apparently someone who previously owned this car put too big of a fuse in the IGN O-BODY slot in the back fuse block and it partially burned a wire out of the insulation. Once I hooked a jumper wire from the fuse block the the good part of the wire everything turned on and the car works like new. I appreciate everyone's input on helping me solve this problem. I was really excited when I found it was just a burnt wire and not a bad computer or cluster.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Certified Members

good going dude!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Smile

Congrads you really did a fine job finding the problem. You da man!!!