Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Default Electrical problems

I just bought a 97 sts, The instrument panel does not work except the fuel gauge, the radio only displays when the car if off it goes black once the car is on, the heat which is digital is just black and dead, this all seemed to happen after we jumped the car. I have checked all the fuses, i just put a new battery in it, and i checked the terminals and they are good. What could be wrong?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

ok, so you jumped the car, and got it started?....... then you put a new battery in, and electrical things happen? was there any electrical problems before? when you jumped the car, were connections right? give the forum a little more info..

so was the problem there when you bought it, or was the car and electrics in good working order? how many miles on the car?.... do you know how to pull codes....

by the way.....welcome to the Forum.... hope we can help, but need more information...
rickyd

Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 PM

I don't know if they were present before, we just bought the car and it needed a jump to be put on a trailer. I noticed the problems after I jumped it but before I put in the new battery. The car runs fine, other power features like the windows, locks, heated seats, dome lights, headlight, all that stuff works fine. Its just the whole dash area is dead when the car runs. No tachometer, speedometer, temp guage, I actually don't know if the gas gauge works it just seems to, the information center is dead, there is no light illumination when the headlights are on, and the gear indicator between the gauges also does not indicate what gear you are in. It boggles me, I need some advice.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

You need to get FSM both books. It could be a ground problem, it sounds like a "flood car". Check car for flood damage - rust and staining, also check condition of electrical componets under black cover on left fender well.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM

It was not a flood car.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

sounds like you bought a problem... do you have any recourse with the seller?
2nd, i think if it were i, id probobly start checking fuses, and relays. 3rd , can you see any signs that someone was in the dash, ie: dash not fitting right, or marks of prying in corners of dash, etc? i know that the cluster you are talking about is aprox $1000. to replace, if that is truely the prob...... gee, too bad.... keep us in the loop, we'll try and assist.
try any give us some more history of the car.... ie: where,and from whom did you buy it from? you had to jump it, and flat bed it out of there?
rickyd

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM

It was previously titled in new jersey and i bought it from a guy in wisconsin. I hauled away on a uhaul car trailer. The guy i bought it from said all it needed was a head gasket and he said everything else worked fine. I dont think it does need a head gasket the car runs great. The dash does look like it might of been pulled aprt and the drivers door panel is loose at the bottom, and i went to check the fuses in the trunk and it looks like someone already did. i checked all fuses but dont know how to check relays. (how do you tell if there bad) The cluster is only the begining of the problem, The security light and service engine soon light work and the gauges do illuminate but they dont work. Plus the heat doesnt work, there is nothing on the dash that works except the radio and it only works when the car is off. Please help this is annoying me.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have you check fuse boxes and relays in the engine compartment?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM

I have already said twice that i checked all the fuses. I have not checked the relays, HOW DO YOU TELL RELAYS ARE BAD? Im thinking it might be the alternator.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

You could unplug it and look for corrosion. To test/check relay you will need wiring diagram of relay you want to check, and jump 12v or ground to leg that triggers it and check for 12v on output wire. Alternator is unlikely to correct your concern. If alternator is cause everything would work when battery is fully charged. Then stop working as battery discharged.

Quick Reply: Electrical problems