Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default coolant leak

okay, let me through this out, see if anyone has an idea.

three weeks ago i got a dic reading "low coolant" at start that went away as soon as i drove off. drove car rest of week, no reading.

two weeks ago after drive off, "low coolant" came on. i return home, check and fill coolant. drove car another 200 miles with no problem.

a week ago, i drive aprox 4, 5 miles to store, shut car down for an hour. get back to the house, shut car down. ten minutes later i notice coolant on the ground. seems as it is coming from back of engine compartment.

run car up to local GM dealer thinking ive got a hose problem. they say "water pump." ???? thinking, i stated are you sure, that water pump was changed at around 40,000 miles. car now has 119,000 miles.

okay, okay..... had water pump replaced, gasket, and a gal of dex-cool.

coming home, quick stop for smokes, kept car running. then drove accorss street to gas up, shut car down. went in to prepay, and back out to find coolant running out. WTF!!!???!!!

back to dealer shut car down...... got wrench, come back to car and no coolant running out. coolant reserve is "close" to full. ????? wrench did fill and drive car after repair, so.....

he thought "just a burp in system" drive for the night, and keep an eye on it.

ANY IDEAS gentlemen, ladies???

drove car aprox 8 miles last night to store and back..... all seemed fine. OH, FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, CAR IS '99 STS, AND HAS 119K MILES.

thanks
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 07-14-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spelling... typos
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

wanted to bring post out front today for a second look by forum. maybe someone could chime in on this. car ran fine yesterday 50 mile trip into town. no signs of coolant leak. maybe it was a "burp"........ now i'm wondering if it was a "burp" before they changed the water pump.... like i had mentioned, water pump was changed about 70k ago
thanks
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 07-15-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammer.......
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

Rick,

if you got a clean engine it should be easy to trace the leak as it leaves a trail.

sounds like a firewall connection to me and that's where i be looking .. water pump? hmmmm .. you should see coolant around the water pump if that was the case.

lets get that engine clean, run it, inspect.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM

i have seen leaks on the driver side water crossover pipe those thick gaskets
and the bypass tube connector

Last edited by gmtechs; 08-11-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Certified Members

sorry guys... for some reason i started another post with the out come. as it turned out, i got a coolant low read on the DIC. i filled the reservoir and took a cruise. back in drive way.......Bingo!! coolant leaking out!! so, up goes the hood, what i should have done in the beginning, and my search begins and it didnt take long. the freaking coolant recovery, the reservoir had a pin hole in it.
so, called the dealer that sold me a water pump install. of course they want to tell me "Oh, so you have another leak"......WTF... long story short, they ordered and gave me a new recovery reservoir, i replaced it and NO COOLANT LEAKS.... aaaaaaa.
thanks everyone for feed back
rickyd

Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

What are the possible causes of coolant leak,water pump and radiator replacement? My problem is I kept on filling up my coolant but it quickly disappears and my engine compartment has this anti-freeze smell. I had it checked yesterday. I was told that I need to replace my water pump and radiator. Is this really necessary? I've seen here on cadillac repair that you only need to replace your water pump and radiator when its rusty. (mine is not).. So I'm wondering if they just want to get money from me.