Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

97 STS P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Default 97 STS P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Can anyone tell me how critical this code is? Just came back froma long trip and when I started the car this morning the P0340 code appeared. I need to travel again Monday but don't want to hurt the engine (81,000 miles) Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Default RE: 97 STS P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Darn, I don't have my 96 shop manual handy, but this seems to be a fairly frequent problem, but not all that expensive a repair at the dealer.
Here was info from another post:
Circuit Description
The diagnostic test checks for CAM reference pulses not received when 4X reference pulses are being received. This indicates a CAM sensor circuit failure and DTC P0340 is set.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
Test Conditions
DTC P0322 not set.
4X reference pulses being received.
Engine speed 1600 RPM or less.
Failure Condition
A CAM reference pulse was not received for 5.3 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The PCM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information will be stored in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A Last Test Failed (current) DTC will clear when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles with no failures of any emission related diagnostic test.
Use a scan tool to clear DTCs.
Interrupting PCM battery voltage may or may not clear DTCs. This practice is not recommended. Refer to Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM Description and Operation.
Test Description
Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

Check to see if DTC P1376 is set because a REF LO problem can cause other ignition problems.

Checking the resistance of the camshaft position sensor. The resistance should be 800 to 2100 ohms. If the resistance is greater, check for an open or if it is less, check for a short to ground or each other.

To ensure acuurate voltage readings, connect the DMM J 39200 to the sensor before recording the Peak Min Max voltage. If the sensor is able to produce a voltage greater than 0.2 volt the sensor is OK. A typical cam sensor should produce an average of 1 volt. Duplicate this test on a known good vehicle to get a comparison voltage if a marginal cam sensor is suspected.
Usually when people have this problem they report a light stumble or difficulty starting.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:44 PM

That's it. It is a little hard to start, but seems to run OK. Is it just replacing the camshaft position sensor, or is there more? Thanks,again for your help.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:40 AM

My recollection is there are 3 or 4 sensors total, but I may be wrong. Most people have the dealer repair/replace, so I dont' know how hard it is to do yourself.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 AM

OK Thanks again. I'll call the dealer.