Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

2001 Cadillac STS Seville Service Engine Light will not turn on - will not work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Default 2001 Cadillac STS Seville Service Engine Light will not turn on - will not work!

Hi my Service Engine Light is not working - will not turn on at all - so now my car can't get a Smog Check in Nevada. Any ideas how to check myself if there is a fuse out, a bulb out? and if so, where and how? Do we have to take the Dashboard out to find where the Service Engine Light is at? Appreciate any ideas! Frustrated in NV, Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

I believe you will have to remove only part of the dash to get to the gage cluster. In order to do this its not too hard just have to have patience going thru the process.

First you have to remove the A pillar Covers and work your way down towards the b and then pull the and then pull them out. Once you have them removed you will need to remove the dash vents from the dash. On each event there are 2 clips on the bottom part of the each vent that you will have to use a flat head screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to hold the clips up and pulling the vent out towards you at the same time. Once you have removed all of the vents you will have access to the screws holding the dash pad. The screws require a torx bit for removal. Remove the screws out of each vent hole and this will allow you to remove the dash pad. lift up on the dash pad along the edge. While lifting the dash pad up pull the dash pad towards you at the same time until you break free the dash pad.before removing the dash pad disconect the speaker wires by disconnecting them. The dash pad is now ready to come off giving you access to the gage cluster. Remove the plastic trim piece in front of the gages and you should be able to see how the gages come out. You should be able to check the bulbs and see if any connectors came lose as well.

Hope this helps ive done this a few times so if you have any questions or issues removing the dash pad please ask i may have for got a step so if i did let me know and good luck.