Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

1998 sls subwoofer install

Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Talking 1998 sls subwoofer install

Hey Bro's i have a 1998 SLS and i want to add a 4ga power wire from the battery to the trunk and run the RCA's and remote to the back no since i am going to keep the factory system i want to know the do's and dont's has anyone done this and can you give me some advice and or pics thanks guys

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Certified Members

run your power wire to the battery (located under rear seat) and run to the amp. i ran my remote wire to the battery as well but had a toggle switch inline with it which i mounted under dash. im not using rca on my amp. since my amp has the option to use the little wiring harnes which wires inline with the factory speaker wires that run into the factory amp. Dont use the speaker wires that come out after amp otherwise your amp will pick up engine noises that the factory amp has already cut down, and the sub amp will just amplify it even more and cause you to have to run the gain at less than what you normally do when using a aftermarket stereo. Its a pain in the a$$ but can be done. If you use the rca you have to use an converter box that you can buy at wal mart or stereo shop.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM

ahhhhhhhh gotcha just so i make this clear as day because im a very simplistic person and im still waiting for the dealership to finish my complimentary tune up

1. Did you say the battery is under the rear seat???? LOL
2. Ive heard of this converter box but ive never seen it basically you splice into your rear speakers run a wire off them to the BOX then from the box you run your RCA's (1,2,3) done??????
3. this is somewat off topic but i read another thread that said the rear subwoofer is a 12" would you recommend swapping it out with an aftermarket one for a little NOT A LOT of extra boom or in your recommendation do you think its over doing it. I have a range rover it has 18 speakers factory and i added two 12's and man talk about concert sound haha THANKS BRO

Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

1. the battery is under the rear seat. you just pull up on the middle part using medium force and "POP" there it is.

2 the converter box will work BUT you need to wire it to the wires that run into the amp not after the amp so you wont pick up the ground noises.

3. the subwofer is considered a 10" but its the same size as a 12". Makes no sennse but its BOSE go figure. The sub is designed with out using a magnet so it doesnt have to have an enclosure. So if you plan to install a sub you will have to have an enclosure to make it sound good and have it mounted to the bottom of the rear deck lid some how. I thought of doing this and decided it was more work than it was worth. So i just Used my 2 12"kickers and amp in the trunk and it worked out perfect. People are surprised to see my factory radio and hear the bass it puts out and they never know i have subs unless i pop the trunk. But i also use a toggle switch for the remote wire so when my kids are riding with me. Been working great for 2 1/2 years with no problems. But i do need to get me another bose amp since mine is slowly going out. I listen to my music pretty loud and it sounds great.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM

1. Wow thats crazy amn a battery under someone butt ha thank goodness no one smokes in any of my cars

2. I think ill just have the professionals do it they said 120 parts and labor so its all good also where did you mount/hide your toggle switch the feds/jakes/pigs/cops are crazy out here and all i need is a noise violation....ouch....

3. and yeah i been reading all over the forum and it seems like it would be way to crazy to even attempt to take out that sub and fabricate something ha so ill just throw some 12's back there. Im a fan of loud music to soooooo its a must i have that "Boom BOOM POW" lol thanks alot

Do you know if this forum has a facebook or do we just post pics under our profile???

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Certified Members

u can just mount the switch were you feel is best i had it under the dash but i moved it down on the kick panel on side of the seat. u cant see it and i just reach down on the side of me to turn it off or on. posting pics on ur profile is the only way on this forum.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM

ok so im guessing just run the remote wire in the car to the front seat or anywhere in that location put a switch onto it then run it to the amp and call it a day!!!!!! cant wait thanks for the help im sure ill be back with more questions lol