Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Default White Smoke

I'm having concerns about my 2005 putting out white smoke. Didn't notice it when I bought it, but now the weather is warming up and the smoke is continuing. My first thought was because it was "cold" and some moisture was in the line but now it's different.
A cadillac repair person told me it was "moisture" and another mechanic back his theory. I lost faith in them both and stop asking their advise - has any one else heard of this.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by gmanney
I'm having concerns about my 2005 putting out white smoke. Didn't notice it when I bought it, but now the weather is warming up and the smoke is continuing. My first thought was because it was "cold" and some moisture was in the line but now it's different.
A cadillac repair person told me it was "moisture" and another mechanic back his theory. I lost faith in them both and stop asking their advise - has any one else heard of this.
its normal for "steam" to exit the tail pipes on all cars until the engine warms up to full temp. on today's cars emissions are well controlled and about the only significant exhaust is water vapor and some CO2 which also looks like vapor.

whether you can see it or not depends on weather conditions, not just temp but its always there.

i be worried if the vapor was excessive .. you would then see it when the weather is both warm (60+F) and dry (no rain), and the car has been driven a good 10 miles.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Have to lost any coolant?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Check the coolant level for a week and keep an eye on it. Other option is that if you don't drive it much and its been high on humidity in your area that moisture stays in the mufflers untill they heat up and burn it off.

Other option is if you have a compression tester hook it up and see if you may have a head gasket leak. Checking the coolant level is your best chance of a easy cheap way to figure it out.