Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

Water in Rear Well; 2004 SRX door handle / lock?

  #1  
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Water in Rear Well; 2004 SRX door handle / lock?

With my 2004 SRX now five years old and out of warranty , I've got a problem with water ac***ulating in the rear well (where the jack is stored). Any time there is rain or we take it through the car wash, I get a few cups of water in the well which (as you know) is carpeted. Soon thereafter the mold/mildew takes hold and things start to smell.

I've dropped the spare down and looked around for any obvious openings under the car and checked the weather stripping around the door. Everything looks normal.

From looking at other forums, this seems to be a common issue with 2004 models. Has anyone else on this forum had this problem and found the source?



........
mod edit: title
 

Last edited by Stealth; 06-21-2009 at 11:34 PM.
  #2  
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
rickyd's Avatar
Tech Certified Members
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,319
Default

water leaks are tuff to find........ take everything out, get well semi dry, and run water over rear top of vehicle to see where its coming in. good luck
rickyd
 
  #3  
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Stealth's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,945
Default

Originally Posted by percyad View Post
With my 2004 SRX now five years old and out of warranty , I've got a problem with water ac***ulating in the rear well (where the jack is stored). Any time there is rain or we take it through the car wash, I get a few cups of water in the well which (as you know) is carpeted. Soon thereafter the mold/mildew takes hold and things start to smell.

I've dropped the spare down and looked around for any obvious openings under the car and checked the weather stripping around the door. Everything looks normal.

From looking at other forums, this seems to be a common issue with 2004 models. Has anyone else on this forum had this problem and found the source?

Advice?
remove the rubber plug in the wheel well and at least allow the water to drain.

then do the $1 bill test on the weatherstrip, and inspect the seals on tail lights and locks.



.
 
  #4  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default

I just bought a 2004 SRX with the same problem, finally found where it was coming from. Water would get in the track of the weatherstrip and leak into the well at the lower body seam. Took off the weather strip, got a tube of black RTV silicon and filled the track with it. Re-installed the weatherstrip and no more leak. Now got to get the roof popping noise fixed!
 
  #5  
Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Good news - I found the leak!

The key was cutting the carpet out of the well, fully drying the well out and then getting the hose out.

Where was the leak? It turns out the water runs down the back window and behind the license plate assembly into the hatch. Then through the latch into the carpet around the catch for the latch and finally into the well.

Now for how to stop water leaking behind the license plate bracket!?!? (without a big tube of silicone)

Has anyone taken the rear door apart and have a clue how to remove the license plate assembly?
 
  #6  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Talking Water Leak is Fixed!

After some dissassembly of the rear hatchback, I found where water was getting in and now are leak free!

I started with removing the interior door trim liner. There is one screw and a number of press fit clips that hold the liner in place. I broke a few of the plastic clips, but they are cheap to replace and easy to find.

Inside the door there are five nuts that when removed will allow the license plate bracket to be removed. I had to push on the ends of the bolts and give them a rap to free the assembly.

Once that was out, I found the culprit - the rubber gasket that seals around the door handle mount was leaking. To stop the leak I did two things:

1. Put a bead of silcone calk around the top of the door handle mount.
2. I removed the rubber gasket, cleaned it and lubricated it with silicone grease.

When re-assembling the whole thing, I also lubed all the rubber to metal contact points for the license plate bracket, tightening everthing and checking for leaks.

Last but not least, re-installing the carpet in the bottom of the well under the jack.

Done.
 
  #7  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
rickyd's Avatar
Tech Certified Members
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,319
Default

percyad... way to go there. glad everything turned out for you...... YOU got'r done all on your own. see ya 'round
rickyd
 
  #8  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Stealth's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,945
Default

Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Advice?
remove the rubber plug in the wheel well and at least allow the water to drain.

then do the $1 bill test on the weatherstrip, and inspect the seals on tail lights and locks.



.

door handle .. locks .. all the same .. great news,
thanks for coming back and providing status of the find.



Originally Posted by percyad View Post
After some dissassembly of the rear hatchback, I found where water was getting in and now are leak free!

I started with removing the interior door trim liner. There is one screw and a number of press fit clips that hold the liner in place. I broke a few of the plastic clips, but they are cheap to replace and easy to find.

Inside the door there are five nuts that when removed will allow the license plate bracket to be removed. I had to push on the ends of the bolts and give them a rap to free the assembly.

Once that was out, I found the culprit - the rubber gasket that seals around the door handle mount was leaking. To stop the leak I did two things:

1. Put a bead of silcone calk around the top of the door handle mount.
2. I removed the rubber gasket, cleaned it and lubricated it with silicone grease.

When re-assembling the whole thing, I also lubed all the rubber to metal contact points for the license plate bracket, tightening everthing and checking for leaks.

Last but not least, re-installing the carpet in the bottom of the well under the jack.

Done.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
scoot2969
Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds
0
10-03-2014 06:26 PM
markbogi
Paint and Body Tech
0
07-11-2012 12:45 PM
Lenben
Cadillac SRX
0
07-06-2011 12:19 PM
Eddiek
Cadillac STS
1
04-01-2009 06:55 PM
blaine138
Cadillac Seville
0
08-20-2008 07:49 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in Rear Well; 2004 SRX door handle / lock?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.