Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

Calling FLCADDYTECH!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Default Calling FLCADDYTECH!!

Hey, I have an '04 SRX V8 AWD. Love the vehicle inside and out - it's very unique and authentically Cadillac.

When I'm in traffic, it feels as if the tranny gets out of synch with itself. It's almost as if it's slipping. The major dealer across the river has looked at it but indicates there's not a problem. While I tend to thrash my vehicles, the slipping has been there since purchase. It hasn't gotten worse, it's just there. Luckily, I live in a flyover state and so seldom deal with traffic for any length of time.

I read somewhere that some AWDs are synchronized and some are not. Could the two differentials be transmitting power unevenly between each other? Is it a problem, given the thrashing? Thrashing generally indicates triple digit speeds when the opportunity presents itself. When cruising, no matter the speed, the car is all positive forward momentum. The transmission never stumbles.

On a more important note, how out of whack will the gauges become if I spring for 20 inchers? The factory wheels are gorgeous but I'd like to fill up more of the wheel-well space. Also, there are now four SRXs sharing the downtown garage so need further differentiation. The others are all sixes but still very similar in outward appearance.

If trade secrets are involved, iowavette@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Calling FLCADDYTECH!!

Not sure what the symptoms are you are experiencing.

I have yet to have a 5 or 6 spd auto come in with an issue other than ses (service engine soon) light for a sensor or other electrical problem, And these are few and far between.

I now AWD "feels" different than FWD or RWD but without driving yours it would be hard to diag.
In my experience, if its mechanical or hydraulic failure in the trans it will get worse.

Nothing i am aware of gets out of sync with the diffs.

Ask your dealer to drive another one just like yours, or maybe rent one for the day.

GM tsb #02-07-30-002A - (08/09/2004)
Operating Characteristics of 5L40E/5L50E Automatic Transmission
The Hydra-Matic 5L40E/50E automatic transmissions have some unique operating characteristics with which customers may not be familiar. They have been designed to provide more of a manual transmission feel than other Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions.

These transmissions are used in 2003-05 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS, and XLR as indicated in the accompanying table. Here are descriptions of the unique operating characteristics.

Normal Mode Operation (CTS, SRX, STS, XLR)
During normal mode operation, drivers may notice increased powertrain braking after releasing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle will not coast freely when the accelerator pedal is released but will start to gradually slow down as if the brakes were lightly applied. This feels very similar to releasing the accelerator pedal on a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.

Sport Mode Operation (CTS)
Typically, Sport mode delays upshifts. The Sport mode simulates the performance driving of a manual transmission. Under certain conditions, the vehicle will maintain specific gears longer than a traditional automatic would. When driving in Normal mode in 5th gear, depressing the Sport button causes an immediate 5-4 downshift, which will be maintained for ten seconds. In any other gear, no downshift takes place when Sport is engaged. In Sport mode, the vehicle has firmer shifting and increased performance, and the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in Normal mode.

Driver Shift Control (DSC) (SRX, STS, XLR)
The driver manually overrides the automatic gear selection. Various mechanization options for input device and degree of override are allowed.

Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) (XLR, 2004 SRX)
PAS overrides normal automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuver. Lower gear is accompanied by near synchronous engine speed control for quick response upon re-opening throttle (enable threshold bias in Sport mode).

Important: On SRX, this feature is enabled in Sport. On XLR, it is always enabled.

Performance Algorithm Liftfoot (PAL) (CTS, SRX, STS, XLR)
PAL prevents liftfoot upshifts while maintaining engine braking during repeated aggressive cornering.

Winter Mode (CTS)
The vehicle launches in 2nd or 3rd gear instead of 1st, to avoid wheel spin in snow or ice, if selected by the driver.

Shift Stabilization (CTS, SRX, STS, XLR)
Shift stabilization is used to minimize shift business, or hunting between ranges. Based on several inputs and a map of engine torque at various RPM and throttle position, the TCM determines before making an upshift whether the engine will be able to maintain vehicle speed in the next higher range. If it calculates that it cannot maintain speed, it will prevent the upshift from occurring.

Downgrade Detection Brake Assist (CTS, SRX, STS, XLR)
Shift to lower gear with braking on downgrade based on fuzzy logic rules calculated from a thermal brake model, terrain detection, desired acceleration, vehicle speed, and mass detection.

Adapts (CTS, SRX, STS, XLR)
Adapts continually compares actual shift times to desired shift times. The transmission controls make hydraulic adjustments to assure the actual shift times approach the ideal shift time the next time the shift is made for similar operating conditions of vehicle RPM, engine load, and road load conditions. The adaptive shift process continues for the life of the vehicle to provide consistent and optimized shifts.

Check with your dealer on wheel options. GM now offers a nice line of 20+ in wheels. Just did a set of 22's on a 07 ESV. Looked awesome, really made the truck.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Calling FLCADDYTECH!!

I had something similar to what you described but I also had a high pitch noise coming from the rear... I took it into service and they ended up replacing the rear diff... because they found bits of metal. Now it runs great! And no noise!