Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Default Tranny problem

I looked around the forum to see if there was a topic that could help me with this, but found none so here's my dilemma. I just bought a 1990 Seville a couple days ago. I knew from the beginning it had some kind of transmission problem. Then I noticed it on the way home.

I was going up a long hill and was about halfway up it going about 48 mph. So I pressed on the gas a little more. But it's not going any faster. I'm slowing down. I press on the gas again and the engine revs but I'm still slowing down going up this hill. So I finally get to the top of the hill and stop on the side and sit there for about 2 minutes. Then I drove for 10 miles the rest of the way home and it was fine. I noticed this again today when I pressed on the gas quickly. I backed off it as soon as I felt it and accelerated slowly and it was fine.

So what is the deal with my tranny? Is it slipping, going out, or what? And how much you think it'd cost to fix this?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tranny problem

My approach to just about every problem is to start at the basics. I alway suggest to take it easy and not jump to the worst conclusion first. About the only thing a backyard mechanic can do to a transmission is make sure the fluid level is correct and maybe do a fluid and filter change. You are describing a failure that occurs under a heavy load. I'm not tranny expert but basicallythe fluid builds up pressure inside the housing and all it's passages etc.. to shift and hold the gears. If the fluid is low the correct pressure can't be attained so the tranny will slip. So simply put go and check the transmission fluid. I have a Deville but the trans fluid filler tube will be in the same place. Drivers side of engine down past the air intake hose. Also make sure it is red and not brownish or displaying a burnt odour. If it is red and low top it up. If it is brownish or burnt change it and change the filter too. Once you have taken care of the fluid a proper diagnosis can begin if your problem persists. I am an optimist and I think you will find that you have a low fluid level. Let us know.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 AM

Checked the tranny fluid today. It was obviously low, but it was hard to tell if it was brown or red cause it was dark out. I bought a couple quarts of fluid, but may have it changed any ways because I don't know when that was last done and it's got 134k miles on it so it may be due for one.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

You know sometimes I amaze myself, and I'm an accountant. I'd agree with you on the fluid change. Get a filter and new pan gasket too. I'd be willing to bet it has never been changed. I think your problem will be solved.

Now I will mention one thing. I had a Bonneville, a 92 that lost fluid. It would never puddle on the ground but sometimes when driving there would be some smoke. There were two lines, one from the tranny to the radiator and one return to the tranny to cool the fluid. These lines were attached to the frame with molded plastic brackets. Well the linesdisintegrated around the area where the brackets held them tight to the frame and began to seep. The first time this happened I had the dealer do it at a cost of $300. The next time I picked up the parts at the dealer for $13 and did it with the hood open.. I trashed the brackets and used cable ties. Just a heads up for a possible leak condition. The Bonny and Seville are probably very similar in this regard.